- Animal viral disease research and diagnosis
- Molecular diagnostic techniques for farm, zoo and aquatic animals
Xingnian is one of the veterinary virologists in the Virology Laboratory at NSW DPI's Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute. He is part of the team that provides diagnostic, health certification and research services for viral diseases of commercial livestock and wildlife. He has undertaken research for the development of a pestivirus vaccine, typing of Australian Isolates of Bovine Herpesvirus 1 and evaluation of PCR tests for the detection of Bluetongue Virus and other arboviruses in bovine semen. He has a senior role in the development and implementation of molecular technologies for animal viral disease research and diagnosis. Xingnian joined the department in1996 after completion of his PhD at the University of Sydney. He holds a B.Sc. (Vet Sci) (1981) and M.Sc. (Vet Sci) (1985) from Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China.
- B.Sc. (Vet Sci) –Nanjing Agricultural University (Nanjing, China) 1981
- M.Sc. (Vet Sci) –Nanjing Agricultural University (Nanjing, China) 1985
- PhD – University of Sydney (Australia) 1996
- Development of laboratory model for infectious challenge of pacific oysters (Crassostrea gigas) with Ostreid Herpesvirus Type-1 (OsHV-1);
- Development of assays to detect Bluetongue virus and vectors to enhance surveillance for bluetongue viruses in claves and sheep
- Kirkland, P.D., Frost, M.J., King, K.R., Finlaison, D.S., Hornitzky, C.L., Gu, X., Richter, M., Reimann, I., Dauber, M., Schirrmeier, H., Beer M. and Ridpath, J.F. (2015). Genetic and antigenic characterisation of Bungowannah virus, a novel pestivirus. Vet Microbiol
- Peter D. Kirkland, Melinda Gabor, Ian Poe, Kristie Neale, Kim Chaffey, Deborah S. Finlaison, Xingnian Gu, Paul M. Hick, Andrew J. Read, Therese Wright, Deborah Middleton 2015 Hendra Virus Infection in Dog, Australia, 2013 Emerging Infectious Diseases * Vol. 21, No. 12
- Xingnian Gu, Rodney J. Davis, Susan J. Walsh , Lorna F. Melville, and Peter D.Kirkland (2014) Longitudinal study of the detection of bluetongue virus in bull semen and comparison of real time polymerase chain reaction assays Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 26(1):18-26.
- Jenkins, C., Hick, P., Gabor, M., Spiers, Z., Fell, S.A., Gu, X., Read, A., Go, J., Dove, M., O’Connor, W., Kirkland, P.D. and Frances, J. 2013. First identification and characterisation of an ostreid herpesvirus-1 micro variant (OsHV-1 µ-var) in Crassostrea gigas (Pacific oysters) in Australia. Dis Aquatic Org Vol. 105: 109–126
- Izzo M.M., Kirkland P.D., Gu X., Lele Y., Gunn A.A., House J.K. (2012) Comparison of three diagnostic techniques for detection of rotavirus and coronavirus in calf faeces in Australia. Australian Veterinary Journal. 90(4):122-129.
- Melinda J. Frost, Jing Zhang, Judith H. Edmonds, Natalie A. Prow, Xingnian Gu, Rodney Davis, Christine Hornitzky, Kathleen E. Arzey, Deborah Finlaison, Paul Hick, Andrew Read, Jody Hobson-Peters, Fiona J. May, Stephen L. Doggett, John Haniotis, Richard C. Russell, Roy A. Hall, Alexander A. Khromykh, and Peter D. Kirkland (2012) Characterization of Virulent West Nile Virus Kunjin Strain, Australia, 2011 Emerge infectious Disease DOI: 10.3201/eid1805.111720
- Read, A.J., Arzey, K.E., Finlaison, D.S., Gu, X., Davis, R.J., Ritche, L., Kirkland, P.D., (2012) A prospective longitudinal study of naturally infected horses to evaluate the performance characteristics of rapid diagnostic tests for equine influenza virus, Veterinary Microbiology 156 (2012) 246–255
Professional associations and activities
- Australia Veterinary association
- Australia Association on Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD)
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD) 2009