A new approach to drought management
Development of a new National Drought Policy has been underway through the national Standing Council on Primary Industries since 2008. Supporting this national approach, NSW is introducing new measures to help farmers prepare for and manage the impacts of drought.
- Establishment of an independent Regional Assistance Advisory Committee to provide feedback on the vulnerability of rural communities to climate-related downturns, and advise on potential farm business, farm family and community support programs and initiatives;
- Replacing the system of State drought declarations with a new Regional Seasonal Conditions Report, which will be a strategic advisory tool; and
- Focusing on pre-drought farm business and farm management preparedness and resilience programs.
- Additional in-drought support package for North West 20 Nov 2013
- New drought management measures announced 8 Feb 2013
- DAFF drought website
- Rural Assistance Authority
- Rural Support Workers
- MLA Meat and livestock weekly newsletter