The purpose of the Animal Welfare Branch is to promote the welfare of production animals and those used in research and exhibitions by administering the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979, the Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and the Animal Research Act 1985 and by close interaction with urban, regional and rural communities.
IN THIS SECTION
- Animal Welfare Advisory Council
The Council is seeking nominations for two member positions representing an animal welfare group and a group that use animals for recreational purposes.
- General animal welfare
General information, legislation, codes of practice, standard operating procedures and guidelines related to the welfare of livestock, dogs, horses, pest and other animals.
- Animals in research and teaching
General information, legislation, policies, guidelines, ethics committees and factsheets related to the welfare of animals used in research and teaching.
- Zoo, circus, exhibited & other animals
General information, legislation, policies and prescribed standards related to the welfare of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks.
- Codes of practice
National and state codes of practice that apply to zoos, circuses, animal exhibitors, research and teaching institutions, livestock producers and traders. Covers a range of animals, including companion animals, birds, production animals, animals in films and rodeos.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 and Regulation 2006, Animal Research Act 1985 and Regulation 2005, Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and Regulation 2005.
Lodging complaints, difference between formal and informal complaints, enforcement agencies, investigation and actions.
Application, notification, declaration and reporting forms.
Welfare of livestock
See Welfare of livestock for information on:
- welfare during drought
- transport accidents
- humane destruction
- specific species (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry)
- Standard Operating Procedures for the use of livestock in research and teaching.
Recent News Releases
- 14 Apr 2014Course to help control livestock internal parasites
- 24 Mar 2014National standards and guidelines for exhibiting animals now on show
- 04 Mar 2014Stocking rates stand out
- 14 Feb 2014Cowra appointment strengthens research team [157.7 KB PDF]
- 13 Feb 2014Agriculture-related books in big demand
- 11 Feb 2014DPI reminds farmers about the risk of weeds in fodder
- 2nd May 2014Tocal Field Days
The Animal Roundabout newsletter is produced biennially for people with an interest in the exhibition of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks in NSW.