The purpose of the Animal Welfare Branch is to promote the welfare of production animals and those used in research and exhibitions by administering the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979, the Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and the Animal Research Act 1985 and by close interaction with urban, regional and rural communities.
IN THIS SECTION
- General animal welfare
General information, legislation, codes of practice, standard operating procedures and guidelines related to the welfare of livestock, dogs, horses, pest and other animals.
- Animals in research and teaching
General information, legislation, policies, guidelines, ethics committees and factsheets related to the welfare of animals used in research and teaching.
- Zoo, circus, exhibited & other animals
General information, legislation, policies and prescribed standards related to the welfare of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks.
- Codes of practice
National and state codes of practice that apply to zoos, circuses, animal exhibitors, research and teaching institutions, livestock producers and traders. Covers a range of animals, including companion animals, birds, production animals, animals in films and rodeos.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 and Regulation 2006, Animal Research Act 1985 and Regulation 2005, Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and Regulation 2005.
Lodging complaints, difference between formal and informal complaints, enforcement agencies, investigation and actions.
Application, notification, declaration and reporting forms.
Welfare of livestock
See Welfare of livestock for information on:
- welfare during drought
- transport accidents
- humane destruction
- specific species (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry)
- Standard Operating Procedures for the use of livestock in research and teaching.
Recent News Releases
- 13 May 2013Global grazing discount until May 31 2013
- 10 May 2013Grafton man faces prosecution for cattle tick offence
- 08 May 2013Focus on southern sheep production
- 14 Feb 2013Learn safe responsible livestock handling
- 07 Feb 2013Course to help control livestock internal parasites
- 07 Feb 2013World Renowned Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit Appoints New Director
The Animal Roundabout newsletter is produced biennially for people with an interest in the exhibition of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks in NSW.