The purpose of the Animal Welfare Branch is to promote the welfare of production animals and those used in research and exhibitions by administering the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979, the Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and the Animal Research Act 1985 and by close interaction with urban, regional and rural communities.
IN THIS SECTION
- General animal welfare
General information, legislation, codes of practice, standard operating procedures and guidelines related to the welfare of livestock, dogs, horses, pest and other animals.
- Animals in research and teaching
General information, legislation, policies, guidelines, ethics committees and factsheets related to the welfare of animals used in research and teaching.
- Zoo, circus, exhibited & other animals
General information, legislation, policies and prescribed standards related to the welfare of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks.
- Codes of practice
National and state codes of practice that apply to zoos, circuses, animal exhibitors, research and teaching institutions, livestock producers and traders. Covers a range of animals, including companion animals, birds, production animals, animals in films and rodeos.
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 and Regulation 2006, Animal Research Act 1985 and Regulation 2005, Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and Regulation 2005.
Lodging complaints, difference between formal and informal complaints, enforcement agencies, investigation and actions.
Application, notification, declaration and reporting forms.
Welfare of livestock
See Welfare of livestock for information on:
- welfare during drought
- transport accidents
- humane destruction
- specific species (cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry)
- Standard Operating Procedures for the use of livestock in research and teaching.
Recent News Releases
- 30 Oct 2013Last chance to have your say on industry maps
- 29 Oct 2013Cool sheep more productive
- 18 Oct 2013DPI researchers present animal breeding and genetics findings
- 19 Sep 2013120 years of DPI cattle tick experience gets a booster
- 10 Sep 2013Tocal Agricultural College opens its doors to interested students
- 30 Aug 2013Quarantine measures lifted on Macksville property
The Animal Roundabout newsletter is produced biennially for people with an interest in the exhibition of animals in zoos, circuses, mobile farms, fauna and wildlife parks in NSW.