IN THIS SECTION
- Feeding and nutrition
Feeding management, residues, stock feeds and stock water.
- Health and disease
Internal and external parasites, poisoning, diseases and disorders of cattle.
- Breeding and selection
Cattle breed characteristics, choosing a breed, breeding plans, bull selection and management and Group BREEDPLAN.
- Yards and equipment
Designing cattle yards, cattle yard plans, gates and feeders.
Handling, dehorning, castrating, weaning and transporting cattle. Herd management.
Assessing frame, shape, fat and muscle. Objective measurements in live cattle and carcase information.
Welfare decisions, animal welfare during drought, transport accidents, humane destruction, and Standard Operating Procedures for the use of cattle in research and teaching.
- Market information
Specifications, beef marketing chain, targeting markets, marketing beef and dark cutting beef.
- Business management
Gross margin budgets, GST, stocking rates and record keeping.
The Beef Genetics and Improvement Unit undertakes research and development to achieve continuous improvements in genetics and production technologies in beef enterprises in NSW.
Contacts in NSW DPI and the beef industry.
You may also be interested in ...
Recent News Releases
- 31 Jan 2014Cattle tick numbers on the rise: stockowners advised to be vigilant
- 27 Nov 2013Woman faces $550 fine for cattle tick offence near Glen Innes
- 08 Nov 2013World-first high feed efficiency cattle research at Glen Innes
- 19 Sep 2013120 years of DPI cattle tick experience gets a booster
- 02 Aug 2013DPI Cattle Methane Team selected as finalists for the Australian Museum Eureka Prizes
- 25 Jul 2013Agriculture experts appointed to deliver research to New England farmers
- 2nd May 2014Tocal Field Days
- Laboratory testing services
A range of diagnostic tests to assist vets and growers in improving animal health.
- Beef Industry Centre (BIC), Armidale
The BIC is the hub of DPI’s beef industry research and development services.