NSW is the largest producer and exporter of pork and pork products in Australia. Since feed is the major cost of producing pork, industry growth and expansion takes place in the Central Western and Southern grain producing regions of NSW.
NSW DPI has research officers located at Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute at Camden working on animal health, nutrition, growth and meat quality. Extension officers located at Cowra and Tamworth provide general advisory services and information for the industry.
IN THIS SECTION
- Services provided by the NSW DPI Pork Production Team
Information about the services provided by the NSW DPI pork production team and key contacts for stakeholders.
- NSW pork industry
Overview of pork production and the work of the NSW industry task force.
- Breeds and breeding
Profiles of breeds farmed in NSW as well information about farrowing and pig genetics.
Husbandry of boars, gilts, sows, litters, weaners and grower herds.
- Housing and environmental issues
Housing types, planning and building, farrowing options and managing effluent.
- Health and disease
Specific disease information and general information about maintaining pig health and well-being.
Livestock injured in transport accidents, humane destruction, and Standard Operating Procedures for the use of pigs in research and teaching.
The Animal Health and Food Sciences Unit undertakes research and diagnostic testing on endemic, exotic and emerging diseases of livestock to minimise the impacts of pests and diseases.
- Enterprise management
Information and tools related to production costs, gross margins, market weight variation, performance recording systems and pig branding, including software applications.
- Related links
Further useful information on pork production from industry and other government web sites.
- The Nutrient calculator - outdoor pigs is used to develop graphical and printed scenarios to sustainably manage new or existing outdoor piggeries.
- The Batch farrowing planner is designed to assist piggery managers in the move from a continuous farrowing to a batch farrowing system.
- The Pork Cost of Production (COP) calculator is designed to assist piggery managers to assess the cost of production and profitability in a pig enterprise.
Recent News Releases
- 13 May 2013Global grazing discount until May 31 2013
- 10 May 2013Grafton man faces prosecution for cattle tick offence
- 08 May 2013Focus on southern sheep production
- 14 Feb 2013Learn safe responsible livestock handling
- 07 Feb 2013World Renowned Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit Appoints New Director
- 07 Feb 2013Course to help control livestock internal parasites
Pigs as pets
For people considering keeping a pet pig the Primefact Pigs as pets contains important information that should be taken into account prior to purchase.