The poultry industry is an important component of the agricultural sector of New South Wales producing meat, eggs and other quality products such as goose down. The industry is a leader in market development and use of technology.
Various breeds of fowls, ducks, turkeys, geese, quail and pheasants are kept in domestic or farm environments.
NSW DPI's role is to provide support to the poultry industry through the provision of extension officers, research scientists, diagnostic laboratories, publications, poultry keeping courses and regulatory services.
IN THIS SECTION
- Health and disease
Information on avian influenza, Newcastle disease and other diseases of poultry. Measures for the prevention of disease.
- Feeding and nutrition
Feeding and nutritional requirements for poultry including particular requirements for ducks, geese, pheasants, Japanese quail and squabs.
Documents on egg production and quality
- Poultry species
Keeping specific species of poultry - ducks, geese, pheasants, Japanese quail and squabs.
- Planning for poultry development
- Poultry keeping environment
Information on the internal environment of poultry sheds as well as the external environment – the poultry farm and surrounding areas.
- Poultry production on a small scale
Information for the amateur backyard poultry keeper as well as the small-scale commercial producer.
The Animal Health and Food Sciences Unit undertakes research and diagnostic testing on endemic, exotic and emerging diseases of livestock to minimise the impacts of pests and diseases.
Layer hen cages, and Standard Operating Procedures for the use of poultry in research and teaching.
- Poultry legislation
Legislation relevant to poultry keeping.
- Magazine now available for download
Laboratory testing services
Recent News Releases
- 31 Oct 2013National and international collaboration to combat Avian Influenza
- 30 Oct 2013Last chance to have your say on industry maps
- 25 Oct 2013Backyard birdowners advised to check flock health
- 18 Oct 2013DPI researchers present animal breeding and genetics findings
- 10 Sep 2013Tocal Agricultural College opens its doors to interested students
- 30 Aug 2013Quarantine measures lifted on Macksville property