NSW - No Space 4 Weeds
Weeds are a major threat to our unique natural environment, threatening the survival of hundreds of native plants and animals in NSW alone. They also impact on the price of food, human health through allergies and asthma, recreational activities and the NSW economy.
However, despite these major impacts many community members have little knowledge about the problems caused by weeds or the simple ways they can limit their spread and impact.
The ‘NSW – No Space 4 Weeds’ program is a state-wide weed awareness program that highlights that weeds are everyone’s problem and provides opportunities for the community of NSW to become part of the solution.
The new theme for weed awareness is hygiene and the new campaign to be promoted under the NS4W banner is titled ‘make a difference – at home at work at play’.
At HOME is aimed at home gardeners and property owners, at WORK targets those who have the potential to spread weeds as part of their job while at PLAY is about how to prevent the spread of weeds through recreational activities including bushwalking, camping, fishing, four wheel driving and boating.
The main messages include:
Dumping garden and aquarium waste can spread weeds
You can stop the spread of weeds at HOME
- Dispose of garden and aquarium waste suitably – at a waste management centre or compost, not in the bush or waterways
- Manage weeds at home – don’t let them move next door
- Stop weeds at your gate – don’t bring them home
You can stop the spread of weeds at WORK
- Check livestock and equipment for weeds and seeds
- Wash down vehicles and machinery on site – leave weeds behind
- Be careful not to take weeds with you to your next place of work
Bushwalking, camping, fishing, 4WDing and boating can spread weeds
You can stop the spread of weeds at PLAY
- Be careful not to take weeds to your favourite place
- Be on the look out for weeds and seeds
- Check and clean all your gear before you leave
So when you see the ‘NSW – No Space 4 Weeds’ logo, get involved and learn more about how you can help solve the problem. It’s easy!
For more information on simple things you can do in your garden to help stop the spread of weeds click here.