'Private forestry' refers to the practice of growing of trees or managing native forests on private land and includes 'farm forestry', 'plantation forestry' and 'private native forestry'.
Private forestry can be integrated into agricultural systems to provide forest products and to complement existing farming enterprises or it can be a stand alone use of the land. There are many potential financial, management and productivity benefits in Farm forestry. (more)
- Farm forestry
Farm forestry is the integration of tree crops into agriculture, usually planted as shelter belts or small clumps, to produce forest products or to benefit farm productivity and sustainability.
- Plantation forestry
Plantation forestry is the establishment of planted vegetation on part, or significant areas of the land, and managed to provide timber products, which may be either selectively harvested or clear-felled. Plantation establishment in NSW is regulated by the Plantations and Reafforestation Act 1999, and the Plantations and Reafforestation Regulation (Code) 2001.
- Private native forestry
Private native forestry is the management and harvesting of native forests for the sale of timber products.
Technical information regarding species, windbreaks, planting practices and biodiversity.
- Paddock Plants
One page technical information with photos of common species.
- Agroforestry for Natural Resource Management (www.publish.csiro.au)
- Farm forestry strategy for NSW
- Best management practice for retained areas in forestry plantations
- Koala Field Guide for Forestry Operations
- Where on farms to grow trees
- Private forestry - potential for diversification
- Why wood products should be used more
From the bookshop
- Eucalypts of the central west of NSW
- Plan for trees
- Private Native Forestry AgGuide - managing the forest on your farm
- Trees for shelter - a guide to using windbreaks on Australian farms
Contacts and links
You may also be interested in...
Forestry Corporation of NSW Facts and Figures 2009-10
A summary document containing an overview of customers and products, along with key statistics in social, environmental and sustainability performance areas.
MarkeTree is a web-based market portal from Australian Forest Growers (AFG). It links sellers of timber and wood products to buyers.