The quantity of feed required for full hand feeding depends on the size and stage of production of the animal and also the quality of the intended feed stuff. It is impossible to offer glib rules of thumb as to the feeding rates for animals without some knowledge of the quality of the feed being used.
This Primefact includes the 'most likely dry matter, metabolisable energy and crude protein content' of a number of common feeds to aid in your calculation of the daily feed required for maintenance, and also discusses in detail:
- Energy requirements for maintenance
- Energy requirement for pregnancy and lactation
- Energy requirements for weaners
- Energy allowances for chill
- Urea as a protein supplement