Pests and diseases of honey bees
Honey bees may be affected by a range of pests and diseases. The list below contains information about specific pests and diseases from a collection of sources, as well as regulatory information and forms.
Emergency and notifiable animal diseases
- Emergency animal diseases
can have serious consequences for trade, production or human health. Contact a vet or call the emergency animal disease watch hotline on
1800 675 888
if you see symptoms or deaths in animals that may be due to an emergency animal disease.
- Notifiable animal diseases in NSW
A number of animal diseases, including all emergency animal diseases, are notifiable under NSW legislation. This means there's a legal obligation to notify authorities if you know or suspect that an animal has one of these diseases.
- You can notify of a suspected or confirmed notifiable disease using the online form or fill in the notifiable animal disease form (PDF 44KB) and fax it to NSW DPI Biosecurity on 02 6361 9976.
Sampling and reporting
- Procedure - Investigating suspect emergency bee pests and diseases
- Viruses of honey bees
- Submitting samples to NSW DPI for diagnostic tests
- Samples for bee disease diagnosis
- American Foulbreed video series
- American foulbrood
- American foulbrood - barrier systems
- American foulbrood in NSW
- American foulbrood - tracing the source
- American foulbrood disease - inspection management
- American foulbrood notification
- American foulbrood positive diagnosis - what should you do?
- American foulbrood disease Paenibacillus larvae in New South Wales apiaries, Survey Results 2006
- AFB traceback form 61.8 KB
- Irradiation of beehive equipment - information from Steritech (www.steritech.com.au)
- American foulbrood - The essential facts (video)
- Managing AFB
- Oxytetracycline sensitivity of Paenibacillus larvae Subsp. Larvae isolates
Small hive beetle
- Small hive beetle - video series
- Small hive beetle management options
- Study of the small hive beetle in the USA (www.rirdc.gov.au)
- Small Hive Beetle Aethina tumida in New South Wales Apiaries 2002-6 Survey Results 2006 391.6 KB