Fishing closures, restrictions and permits
Our State's fisheries are a community-owned resource. We all have a responsibility to protect and safeguard this natural asset for present and future generations. There are comprehensive laws designed to ensure that fishing activities remain sustainable, and that biological diversity is protected.
Local DPI NSW Fisheries Offices maintain a comprehensive list of local fisheries rules and actively advises the public about these. It is important that it is understood that the information provided on this website only provides some of the controls that people need to abide by in respect to their fishing and other activities related to our aquatic resources. The local DPI NSW Fisheries Office should be contacted for the most comprehensive advice on activities that are being contemplated in an area.
Recreational fishers need to be aware of the fishing rules and regulations that apply to recreational fishing such as bag & size limits, methods, the use of traps and nets and other regulations.
NSW DPI has a role in enforcing the following laws regarding recreational and commercial fishing.
Recreational saltwater closures
Recreational freshwater closures
- Summary of fishing closures for major freshwater fish species
- General freshwater fishing closures 517kb
- List of trout waters
Marine protected areas
- Intertidal Protected Areas
- Aquatic Reserves
- NSW Marine Parks (www.mpa.nsw.gov.au)
- Commonwealth Marine Protected Areas (www.environment.gov.au)
Other relevant closures
- Little Penguin Critical Habitat - Sydney North Harbour (www.environment.nsw.gov.au)
- New South Wales submarine cable protection zones (www.acma.gov.au)
- Japanese Midget Sub - Heritage Order (www.heritage.nsw.gov.au)
- Declared diseases and quarantine orders
- Orders Lowland Darling and Lachlan Rivers 80 kb
- Caulerpa taxifolia Section 8 closures
- Section 37 permit - Authorising specified modifications to fish trawl nets 60kb
- Section 37 permit - Renewal to take Carp Estuary General Fisheries 34kb
- Section 37 permit - EG hauling net (general purpose) - All regions 50kb
- Section 37 permit - Clarence River EPT Diamond BRD 46kb
- Section 37 permit - Ocean Trawl codends 47kb
- Section 37 permit - Estuary General codends 48kb
- Section 37 permit - Authorised modifications to EPT codends - All regions 67kb