Education & training for hunters
Hunter LEAP (Learning, Education and Accreditation Program) is an education program for hunters, administered by the DPI Game Licensing Unit.
Through Hunter LEAP, the Department acknowledges the important role of hunter education and training in regulated hunting. Hunter LEAP ensures that individuals wanting to hunt on public land are suitably educated and that opportunities for hunter education are available to all NSW Game Hunting Licence holders.
The Game Licensing Unit is able to approve courses of training for hunters as well as accredit persons, clubs or associations to deliver approved courses. Organisations and their members and/or employees are encouraged to apply for accreditation as a Hunter LEAP Provider or Hunter LEAP Trainer to deliver these approved courses to their local community.
Become a firearm safety training instructor for DPI
Would your club or hunting industry business like to start 2017 with the ability to offer firearms safety training?
Need to know: Firearms & Hunting Safety (Long-arms) Course due for release early 2017. This course is approved by the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry to allow individuals to qualify for a NSW Firearms Licence.
Need to action: seek approval as a NSW Firearms Safety Instructor.
|I'm already a Hunter LEAP Trainer||I'm a new Hunter LEAP Trainer||Clubs/ organisations|
Download and print Form HL-F: Application to become a Hunter LEAP Firearms Safety Instructor.
Download and print Form HL-B: Application to become an accredited Hunter LEAP Trainer.
Download and print Form HL-A: Application to become an accredited Hunter LEAP Provider.
Do I need to fill in a P644?
If you've never been approved as a NSW Firearms Safety Instructor before, you'll need to fill in the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry Form P644: Application for a Firearms Safety Instructor (Longarms).
Many clubs are eagerly awaiting this course release - to make sure you can start assessing as soon as it's released, get your paperwork in today.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Hunter LEAP
Hunter LEAP is made up of four parts:
- NSW restricted game hunting licence qualifying accreditation
- firearms and hunting safety training (an approved course for firearms licence applicants to the NSW Police)
- short courses
Primefact 1380 - Hunter LEAP (PDF, 180.8 KB) summarises the program in printable format.
Hunters helping hunters
There are many different types of courses available for our Hunter LEAP Partners to deliver, but the most important one is the R-Licence Accreditation Course to help new hunters qualify for a NSW Restricted Game Hunting Licence (R-Licence).
You can help us build a system of easy access and club participation by signing up to help new R-Licence applicants through delivery of the compulsory R-Licence Accreditation Course as well as other courses developed just for hunters.
Why sign up?
Here's just a few of the many reasons to sign-up to Hunter LEAP:
- Access to best practice hunter education material that is structured to assist Trainers organise and present courses.
- Hunter LEAP material is provided free-of-charge to partner organisations.
- Opportunity to cost recover on training.
- Delivering the R-Licence Accreditation Course leads to more club membership and more customers.
- Provide more opportunities for club events and promotions.
- A dedicated support team in Parramatta, especially for the Hunter LEAP network.
Hunter LEAP Providers
App lications are now invited from eligible organisations and businesses to become accredited Hunter LEAP Providers.
Hunter LEAP Providers can be either:
- Approved Hunting Organisations (AHOs), or
- hunting industry businesses.
Hunter LEAP Providers schedule training events and are responsible for ensuring that course material supplied by the Department is delivered according to the guidelines, procedures and standards in the Hunter LEAP Training Packages.
Providers nominate Hunter LEAP Trainers who deliver Hunter LEAP training material on behalf of their organisation.
Hunter LEAP Trainers
Members (AHOs) or employees (hunting retailers) of Hunter LEAP Providers are invited to apply for accreditation as a Hunter LEAP Trainer.
Hunter LEAP Trainers are responsible for the delivery and assessment of Hunter LEAP courses on behalf of their Hunter LEAP Provider and were previously known as 'assessors'. Trainer applications must be supported by nomination from the Provider's official contact person.
The criteria for accreditation as a Hunter LEAP Trainer are:
- have a current R-Licence or certification of completion of the mandatory component of the R-Licence Accreditation Course.
- successfully pass a Working with Children Check (required with application)
- successfully pass a Criminal History check (conducted by the Game Licensing Unit)
- be a NSW Police approved firearms safety trainer (if the Trainer will deliver Firearms and hunting safety training only)
- understand and abide by the contents of the Hunter LEAP Trainer's Guide: Training standards and techniques (to be released by March 2015).
- access to the suite of available Hunter LEAP Training Packages.
- access to Hunter LEAP material through an online extranet.
Hunter LEAP policy
The Hunter LEAP policy provides a framework for the management and delivery of education and training through Hunter LEAP. It sets out the minimum requirements for material the Department will issue to Providers and Trainers, the expectations for course delivery according to issued standards and guidelines, and how the Department will review Hunter LEAP Partners activities.
Hunter LEAP Training Packages
The following Hunter LEAP Training Packages will be available to registered Hunter LEAP Providers and Trainers later this year.
Each Training Package contains a detailed user guide as well as a range of templates and instructional material to assist in delivery of hunter education and training to Departmental standards.
|R-Licence qualification||R-Licence Accreditation Course|
|Firearms safety training||Firearms and Hunting Safety Training Course|
|Hunting technique short courses||Bushcraft and survival|
|Butchering game animals|
|Calling and decoying foxes|
|Caping, tanning and taxidermy|
|Game animal anatomy and shot placement|
|Hunting rabbits and hares|
|Hunting wild dogs|
|Identifying game and feral animals|
|Introduction to deer hunting|
|Mapping and navigation basics|
|Navigation using GPS|
|Scouting and hunting State forests in NSW|
|Hunting technique workshops||Deer hunting|
|Hunting feral pigs with dogs|
Hunter Education and Training Support Team
The Hunter Education and Training team located in Parramatta provides dedicated support to Hunter LEAP Partners.
The support team is available by phoning 02 9842 8350 or by emailing email@example.com