- Biology of freshwater fish
- Aquatic pests
- Movement patterns of fish in relation to barriers and flow
- Tag retention and applicability
Gavin Butler is based at Grafton Fisheries Centre and first joined NSW Fisheries in 2004 on a part time basis as a Fisheries Technician. He is currently employed as a Scientific Officer and helps to manage a number of fisheries projects run by I&I NSW throughout the north of NSW. His research has included a number of active and passive tagging projects, with the results helping to drive water reforms in a number of the states northern rivers. Gavin recently completed his PhD through Southern Cross University, Lismore, studying the biology of the eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei.
*The NSW Department of Primary Industries and its former agencies, NSW Agriculture, NSW Fisheries, State Forests of NSW and the NSW Department of Mineral Resources became a part of Industry & Investment NSW on July 1, 2009.
- B. App.Sc. (Hons) – Southern Cross University 2001
- PhD – Southern Cross University 2009
- The effects of flow and barriers on fish assemblages in the Clarence River
- Tag retention in native fish from the north-coast of NSW
- Movement patterns and habitat selection of the eel-tailed catfish Tandanus tandanus
- Acoustic tracking of five large-bodied fish species in the Clarence River
- Biology of the endangered eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei
- Biology of the introduced banded grunter Amniataba percoides
- Biology of the Murray cod Maccullochella peelii peelii in the Border Rivers of NSW
Butler GL & Rowland SJ (2009) Using underwater cameras to describe the reproductive behaviour of the endangered eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 18, 337-349.
Butler GL, Mackay B, Rowland SJ & Pease BC (2009) Retention of intra-peritoneal transmitters and post-operative recovery of four Australian native fish species. Marine and Freshwater Research, 60, 361-371.
Butler GL (2009) Review of the biology and conservation of the endangered eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei, with particular reference to defining environmental water requirements. Unregulated River Water Sharing Plan Ecological Monitoring and Reporting. NSW Department of Water and Energy, Sydney.
Butler GL, Mackay B & Hutchison J (2009) Fish assemblages of Coopers Creek and the Wilsons River in the Richmond River Catchment, with special reference to the endangered eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei. Unregulated River Water Sharing Plan Ecological Monitoring and Reporting. NSW Department of Water and Energy, Sydney.
Butler GL & Rowland SJ (2008) Using traditional age and growth techniques in endangered species management: eastern freshwater cod Maccullochella ikei. Marine and Freshwater Research, 59, 684-693.
Knight JT, Butler GL, Smith PS & Wagner NE (2007) Reproductive biology of the endangered Oxleyan pygmy perch Nannoperca oxleyana Whitley. Journal of Fish Biology, 71, 1494-1511.
Professional associations and activities
- Member of Australian Society of Fish Biologists
- Member of American Fisheries Society
Fields of Research
- 060204 Freshwater Ecology
- 050202 Conservation and Biodiversity
- 050211 Wildlife and Habitat Management
- 050205 Environmental Management
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Freshwater fish
- Pest species management
- Threatened species management
- Active and passive fish tagging