- Economics of climate science
- Economics of natural resources - biodiversity
- Economic impact assessments
- Economics of farming systems modelling and analysis
Salahadin Khairo works with the NSW Department of Primary Industries as a research economist at Trangie Agricultural Research Centre. He joined the NSW Agriculture* in 2003 as an economist and has been involved in economic research and advisory services.
Salahadin Khairo undertakes economics research on a wide range of issues of farming systems including climate risk assessment, natural resource economics, economic evaluations of RD& E and farming systems modelling and analysis. He is also involved with developing and providing advisory services to the industry.
Salahadin Khairo worked in Ethiopia as an economics and policy advisor before joining NSW Department of Primary Industries.
*NSW Department of Primary Industries was formed on July 1, 2004 through an amalgamation of NSW Agriculture, NSW Fisheries, State Forests of NSW and the NSW Department of Mineral Resources.
- B.Sc. (AgricEcon) – Alemaya University of Agriculture (Ethiopia), 1990
- GradDip. (ResEcon) - University of New England (Australia) , 1997
- M.Sc. (Econ) – University of New England (Australia) 1999
- Analysis of the potential economic benefits of precision farming in the farming systems in Western Plains Regions of NSW
- Analysis of the economics of biodiversity conservation in Agricultural systems
- Documenting and assessing the potential uses of MIDAS for the Central West Farming Systems
- Analyse the economics impact of incentives to land stewardship in the pastoral systems of the Western Division of NSW
- Assessing the potential economic benefits of seasonal climate forecast for pastoral enterprises in the Western Division of NSW
- Developing and updating enterprises Gross margin budgets and machinery costs
Khairo SA, Mullen JD, Hacker RB and Patton DP (2008) Farming Systems in the Pastoral Zone of NSW: An economic Analysis, Economic Research Report No. 31, NSW Department of Primary Industries, Trangie.
Khairo SA (2007) Farm business enterprises assessed, Western Magazine, 1 October, 2007.
Khairo SA and Battese GE (2005) “A study of the technical inefficiencies of maize farmers within and outside the new extension program in the Harari region of Ethiopia”, South African Journal of Agricultural Extension, 34(1), 136-150.
Khairo SA, Battese GE and Mullen JD (2005) “Agriculture, food insecurity and agricultural policy in Ethiopia”, Outlook on Agriculture, 34 (2), 77-82.
Khairo SA (2004) Coping with rising fuel costs, Agriculture Today, 27 May 2004 edition, p6, NSW DPI
Professional associations and activities
- Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (Member)
Fields of Research
- 140201 Agricultural Economics
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Climate science
- Natural resources
- Farming systems
- Modelling and analysis