- Husbandry of Australian mammals
- Taxonomy of Australian mammals
- Gliding mammals
Stephen Jackson works in the Animal Welfare Branch where he is involved in the regulation of the zoo industry in New South Wales.
He joined NSW Agriculture* in 2001 as a Professional Officer, though transferred to a Research Scientist classification as a result of his strong publishing record. He has nearly 20 years experience as a field biologist, zoo keeper, wildlife park curator and government zoo regulator. He completed his PhD on the endangered mahogany glider (Petaurus gracilis) in the tropical forests of north Queensland. To date he has published some 25 papers and three books.
*NSW Department of Primary Industries was formed on July 1, 2004 through an amalgamation of NSW Agriculture, NSW Fisheries, State Forests of NSW and the NSW Department of Mineral Resources.
- BSc. (Zoology and Botany) – Macquarie University, Sydney. 1990.
- MSc. (Environmental Biology) – University of Technology, Sydney 2004.
- PhD Zoology – James Cook University, Townsville. 1998.
- Developing standards for different groups of animals held by exhibitors in New South Wales.
- Taxonomy of Australian mammals.
- Monograph of gliding mammals.
Jackson SM (2007) Koalas: Origin of an Icon. Allen & Unwin, Sydney. 337pp.
Jackson SM, Grant TR, Temple-Smith PD & Bennett G (2005) Monsieur Jules Verreaux and the platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus): comments on the observations of a naturaliste voyageur. Australian Mammalogy 27: 147-160.
Goldingay RL & Jackson SM (eds.) (2004) The Biology of Australian Possums and Gliders. Surrey Beatty, Sydney.
Goldingay RL & Jackson SM (2004) A review of the ecology of the Australian Petauridae. Pp. 376-400. In R.L. Goldingay & S.M. Jackson (eds) The Biology of Australian Possums and Gliders. Surrey Beatty, Sydney.
Jackson SM (2003) Australian Mammals: Biology and Captive Management. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. 524pp. Awarded Whitley Medal. 2004.
Phillips BT & Jackson SM (2003) Growth and development of the Tasmanian devil Sarcophilus harrisii at Healesville Sanctuary. Zoo Biology 22: 497-505.
Jackson SM (2003) Standardising husbandry manuals: Guidelines for terrestrial vertebrates. International Zoo Yearbook 38: 229-243.
Jackson SM & Johnson CN (2002) Time allocation to foraging in the mahogany glider Petaurus gracilis (Marsupialia, Petauridae) and a comparison of activity times in exudivorous and folivorous possums and gliders. Journal of Zoology (London) 256: 271-277.
Holland N & Jackson SM (2002) Reproductive behaviour and food consumption associated with the captive breeding of platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus). Journal of Zoology (London) 256: 279-288.
Professional associations and activities
- Australian Mammal Society (1991- )
- Conservation Breeding Specialist Group of the Species Survival Commission (SSC) within the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN)(1995- )
- Mahogany Glider Recovery Team (1995- )
Marsupial and Monotreme Specialist Group of the Species Survival Commission (SSC) within the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN)(1996- )
- Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales (1991- )
Fields of Research
- 060301 Animal Systematics and Taxonomy
- 060801 Animal Behaviour
- 060809 Vertebrate Biology
- 060899 Zoology not elsewhere classified
- 060208 Terrestrial Ecology
- 060207 Population Ecology
- 060308 Life Histories
- 050202 Conservation and Biodiversity
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Animal husbandry
- Australian mammal taxonomy
- Australian mammal ecology
Content cannot be accessed