The Land Based Aquaculture Consultative Group is the key non-oyster industry consultative body for NSW. It comprises representatives from the different species groups or sectors, relevant industry associations, NSW DPI. It is a non-statutory committee with an independent Chair and functions under a set of operational guidelines.
Notes from the latest meeting
The Land Based Aquaculture Consultative Group (LBACG) meeting was held by teleconference on the 23 September 2014. Key agenda items included:
- Advice on the harmonisation of disease testing between states and national noxious fish lists was provided by the Aquatic Biosecurity Unit.
- An update on the success of renewing Minor Use Permits (MUPs) for aquaculture chemicals issued by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority.
- An update on the Hatchery Quality Assurance Scheme to include a genetic zone amendment and inclusion of marine species under the NSW Marine Fish Stocking Program.
- An update on the NSW EPA proposal to simplify licences for aquaculture farms.
- Advice that following a review of aquaculture permit conditions, a draft of the proposed new conditions will be provided to LBACG members for comment.
- Advised that the NSW Aquaculture Industry Directory will be updated in 2015.
- Industry raised the issue of conflicting land uses encroaching on aquaculture farms creating issues. NSW DPI and Industry resolved to work with Local and State government land use planning staff to mitigate conflicts.
- Industry raised the issue of stock predation and the need for new deterrent systems. NSW DPI provided information on laser and motion sensing deterrent devices.
- Industry raised the issue of the need to bring forward the notification process for hatcheries under the $4$ scheme of the NSW Fish Stocking Program.
- Industry raised the issue of rising electricity costs. NSW DPI investigated and provided some information on how other primary industries have dealt with this matter.
- Industry raised the issue of the complexity and number of seafood product standards and the current review of imported seafood under the Imported Food Inspection Scheme related to fish labelling.