General Guide licence

Apply or renew your licence

You can apply for a new game hunting licence or renew an existing licence using our online licensing services. You can read more about applying or renewing online or use the links below to get started.

If you want to apply for a licence type that is Restricted, it is important to read about how to become accredited and qualify for the licence before you apply.

A technical issue is currently preventing applicants using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) from attaching supporting documents to an application. You can still lodge an online application using a non-iOS device or computer.

Apply Renew

A hunting guide is a person who accompanies other persons on a hunt for game or feral animals in return for a fee or reward.

If you want to guide others in their pursuit of deer and other game animals on private land in NSW, you need to apply for a General guide licence (G-guide).

The G-guide licence confers the authority of a standard G-licence. You do not need to purchase both licences.

If you are paying by credit card, use the links above to apply or renew online. If you are paying by cheque or money order, use the application forms below.

NSW General (Guide) Game Hunting Licence - application/renewal form (PDF, 122.45 KB)

NSW Game Hunting Licence - licence replacement form (PDF, 104.41 KB)


There are two requirements that must be met before you can apply for the G-guide licence.  Applicants must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • hold a firearms licence
  • be a member of an Approved Hunting Organisation (AHO).

Approved Hunting Organisations

Before qualifying for an G-guide licence, you must become a member of an Approved Hunting Organisation (AHO). A directory of AHOs is available.

You must also maintain your membership for your R-guide licence to remain valid. You will be asked to provide proof of your membership when you send in your application paperwork.

Special conditions

G-guide licence holders must:

  • hold a current Firearms Licence and carry a firearm on all guided hunts for the purposes of animal welfare
  • understand relevant sections of the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002 and its associated Regulation 2012 before undertaking any hunting or guiding under licence. This includes adhering to a strict Code of Practice and abiding by related legislation
  • ensure that all clients comply with the relevant legislation and hold a current NSW General game hunting licence (G-licence) when hunting deer and other game animals on private land
  • keep a log book recording your hunting guide activities. This will help distinguish between general hunting and guided hunting for the purposes of enforcement and public liability insurance.

Permits from the Firearms Registry

Persons wanting to guide others in their pursuit of game and feral animals in NSW must also obtain a Safari Tour Permit from the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry.

Overseas hunters must first obtain a permit from the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry authorising their possession and use of a firearm in NSW. They may also require a NSW Visitor's game hunting licence.


Apply directly to the NSW Department of Primary Industries using the links at the top of the page to apply online or submit an application form (PDF, 122.45 KB).


Licence term Full rate Concession rate
1 year $175 $117
2 years $340 $227
3 years $500 $335
4 years $645 $430
5 years $850 $567

The concession rate is only available to pensioners holding an eligible pension card. Minor hunters are not eligible to hold a guide licence.


Game hunting licences being used for guiding others do not include public liability insurance cover. Any insurance is the responsibility of the licence holder.

If you are using your licence for the purposes of private (non-guiding) hunting, your licence includes $20 million public liability cover.