Hunting wild deer on private land


All deer living in the wild in NSW are defined as game animals under the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002.

Individuals seeking to hunt deer on private land in NSW require either a General Game Hunting Licence (G-Licence), or a Restricted Game Hunting Licence (R-Licence) which covers both private and public land.

Within both G-Licence and R-Licence classes, specific licence types are required depending upon the reason the hunting is being undertaken.

Topics include:

  • Game hunting license types
  • Wild deer species found in NSW
  • Exemptions from licensing and regulations
  • Deer hunting regulations
  • Engaging licensed hunters to assist control wild deer
  • Reporting illegal hunting


Primefact 1467 First Edition

Published: Apr 2016