A new approach to managing the NSW marine estate
A new approach, the Audit response
The Minister for Primary Industries Katrina Hodgkinson and Minister for the Environment Robyn Parker recently announced the NSW Government response to the Report of the Independent Scientific Audit of Marine Parks in NSW.
The NSW Government is seeking to better manage the NSW marine estate across our marine waters, coastline and estuaries, including the existing six marine parks.
The NSW marine estate includes:
- the sea enclosed within the three-nautical-mile limit including all marine related bays.
- rivers under a detectable tidal influence.
- mangrove systems, islands, wetlands and lakes that are intermittently connected to the sea.
- coastal systems such as dune systems and headlands that are strongly influenced by the oceanic processes even though they are not episodically inundated.
The new approach will be driven by two new advisory bodies (JPG 268Kb).
- have an independent Chair. The Ministers have selected Dr Wendy Craik AM for this role.
- oversee management of the NSW marine estate, including the current system of marine parks.
- report jointly to the Minister of Primary Industries and Minister for the Environment.
- include as members the heads of NSW Trade and Investment, Primary Industries, Environment and Heritage, Planning and Infrastructure, and Transport, and the Chair of the Expert Knowledge Panel.
The independent Marine Estate Expert Knowledge Panel will:
- be chaired by Dr Andrew Stoeckel and consists of five other experts.
- provide the Authority and Ministers with expert advice across ecological, economic and social sciences.
- Dr Stoeckel will also be a member of the Marine Estate Management Authority to provide for the Authority having direct access to scientific expertise.
The Authority and Expert Knowledge Panel will focus on these key initiatives:
- Developing a threat and risk assessment framework (PDF 58Kb) – to underpin and prioritise. effective management across the marine estate to address the primary threats.
- Developing a Marine Estate Management Strategy (PDF 63Kb) – through which the strategic framework and priorities will be set, and monitor its implementation.
- Marine park management reforms (PDF 79Kb) – including consideration of multiple use zoning, incorporation of ecological threats and risks, economic and social considerations, and improved public communication and engagement processes.
The new approach allows the Government to respond to threats and risks to better manage our precious marine resources across the entire marine estate not just in marine parks.
A more comprehensive website is currently under construction. The website will provide:
- general information about the NSW marine estate.
- information about the new initiatives to achieve better management of the NSW marine estate.
- information about the Marine Estate Management Authority and the Marine Estate Expert Knowledge Panel.
The Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner and Minister for Environment Robyn Parker today announced community views on the NSW marine estate will be sought early this year, to inform the future management of the marine estate.
- NSW Government response to the Marine Parks Audit (PDF)
- Fact sheet (PDF)
- Beaches and Headlands Factsheet (PDF)
- NSW marine estate advisory bodies diagram (JPG)
- Statewide survey to examine NSW community views on the Marine Estate (PDF)
- Marine Estate Schedule of Works – Charts course for next 18 months (PDF)
- New vision and principles for managing the Marine Estate (PDF)
- Applications are now open for five Marine Park Advisory committees (PDF)
- NSW Government lifts moratorium to improve marine park management (PDF)
- Marine Estate Expert Knowledge Panel appointed (PDF)
- Calls for feedback on fishing on beaches (PDF)
- A new approach to marine estate management (PDF)
Contact usFor more information, please email email@example.com
Key Authority documents
|MEMA Protocol Manual||Feb 2014||335.3 KB|
|MEMA summary of stakeholder engagement and consultation||31.0 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 1||25 Mar 2013||27.5 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 2||08 May 2013||30.5 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 3||14 Jun 2013||38.2 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 4||31 Jul 2013||29.0 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 5||23 Sep 2013||34.1 KB|
|Marine Estate Management Authority Meeting 6||18 Nov 2013||54.9 KB|
|MEMA Community and Stakeholder Engagement Strategy||204.8 KB|