- Integrated pest management (IPM)
- IPM in field lettuce
- Strategic planning for IPM development & adoption across vegetable industries
- Potential for endemic beneficials to manage pests
- Extension tools to assist IPM growers, researchers or consultants
Dr Sandra McDougall was appointed to the Vegetable Entomology position at Yanco Agricultural Institute in 1997, and to the Technical Specialist (Vegetables) position in 1999. She became Industry Leader, Field Vegetables in 2006. Sandra has been the team leader for the National Vegetable Industry Centre at Yanco since 1999.
Sandra has been the project leader for a series of national Lettuce IPM projects since 1998. Her interest is in developing IPM tools and strategies that growers can adopt. She has contributed to IPM projects in processing tomatoes and sweet corn. Recently she led a review of vegetable IPM research and many of her recommendations have been adopted by industry. Her expertise in IPM development and adoption has been utilized by ACIAR projects in Tonga and Cambodia and an AUSAID project in Vietnam.
In 2008 she was recognized as the Bayer Crop Science Vegetable Researcher of the Year.
- B.Sc. (Hons 1A) Zoology– Australian National University 1991
- PhD Entomology – University of California (Berkeley) USA 1995
- Lettuce IPM
- Lettuce best management practice
- Currant lettuce aphid movement
- Vegetable IPM strategic planning
Orr LM, McDougall S, and Mullen JD (2008) An Evaluation of the Economic, Environmental and Social Impacts of NSW DPI Investments in IPM Research in Lettuce, Economic Research Report No 40, NSW Department of Primary Industries, Orange.
McDougall S and Pilkington L (2008) Vegetable IPM. Primefact 709
McDougall S and Creek A (2007) Currant Lettuce Aphid Nasonovia ribisnigri. Primefact 155 2nd Edition
McDougall S and Tesoriero L (2007) Western Flower thrips and tomato spotted wilt virus. Primefact 713
McDougall S (2006) Lettuce IPM. Primefact 154
McDougall S and Creek A (2004) Pests, Beneficials, Diseases and Disorders in Lettuce: field identification guide. 141pp.
McDougall S (2005) “Processing Tomato IPM in Australia – an overview” Proceedings of 9th International Symposium on Processing Tomatoes. W.J. Ashcroft (Ed) Acta Hort 724: 145-148 ISHS
Professional associations and activities
- Australian Entomological Society
- Entomological Society of America
- International Organisation of Biological Control
Fields of Research
070603 Horticultural Crop Protection (Pests, Diseases and Weeds)
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Integrated pest management
- Biological control
|Position||Leader Southern Irrigated Systems|
|Location||Yanco - Agriculture|