Adrian Englefield joined the NSW Department of Primary Industries in August 2015 as a Development Officer – Viticulture, based at the National Wine and Grape Industry Centre, Wagga Wagga.
Adrian’s viticulture development and extension activities include working with industry to design, implement and evaluate DPI Viticulture Skills Development Programs and Wine Australia Riverina Regional Program project activities.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Viticulture), Charles Sturt University, 2005
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Wine Science), Charles Sturt University, 2011
- Master of Business Administration, Charles Sturt University, 2016–2020
DPI Viticulture Skills Development Program:
- VineWatch – fortnightly viticulture newsletter including NSW viticulture news and events, DPI viticulture updates, reports from 11 NSW wine growing regions and links to industry resources
- Weather Stations Network – instillation, coordinating maintenance and interpreting weather data for VineWatch reports
- Contributing to the annual DPI Grapevine Management Guide (available online at DPI Grapes website).
Riverina Regional Program (highlights):
- Riverina sap flow and dendrometer demonstration
- Disease resistant vineyard – planting 1.5 hectares of powdery mildew and downy mildew resistant varieties for industry evaluation
- LoRaWAN (Long range wide area network) installation and demonstration at the Griffith Research Station.
- 76 VineWatch editions (as of 29 January 2019), VineWatch archive
- Heatwave management in Riverina vineyards: 2017–18 sap flow and dendrometer demonstration (co-author), DPI Grapevine management guide 2018–19, August 2018
- Using EL stages and growing degree day data to aid growing season planning (co-author), DPI Grapevine management guide 2018–19, August 2018
- Spray application – the importance of calibration (co-author), DPI Grapevine management guide 2018–19, August 2018.
- Hot topic for local growers. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker. Issue 649 (36), February 2018
- How to deal with soaring temperatures – managing heatwaves in Riverina vineyards. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker. Issue 648 (22–23), January 2018
- PrimeFact: Queensland Fruit Fly and wine grapes Information manual for Hunter Valley grape growers, August 2017
- Post-vintage planning – preparing your vines for the next growing season. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker. Issue 637 (21–28), February 2017
- New vineyard weather stations. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker. Issue 636 (40), January 2017
- VineWatch network expands. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker. Issue 625 (38–39), February 2016
- Fourteen YouTube videos outlining SDP activities. Published in VineWatch and available on the DPI YouTube channel.
Professional associations and activities
- Australasian-Pacific Extension Network
- Australian Society of Viticulture and Oenology
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Vineyard pest and disease management
- Vineyard technology
- Riverina Regional Program
- DPI Viticulture Skills Development Program