Dr Guangdi Li obtained his Bachelor (1982) and Master degrees (1985) at Gansu Agricultural University, China and did his PhD at Massey University, New Zealand, focused on response of chicory (Cichorium intybus L.) to defoliation during 1993-1997. Dr Guangdi Li joined the NSW Department of Primary Industries since 1997. He has extensive research experience in Australia, China and New Zealand. Over the last 10 years, he published more than 70 refereed journal papers across a wide range of research areas in pasture agronomy, crop and pasture management, pasture species evaluation, soil chemistry and physics, and acid soil management. Currently, he is leading a multi-disciplinary research team across 4 research organizations in partnership with 4 leading growers groups, focusing on innovative approaches to managing subsoil acidity in the southern grain region in Australia.
- BAgrSc – Gansu Agricultural University, China, 1982
- MAgrSc – Gansu Agricultural University, China, 1985
- PhD in Plant Science – Massey University, New Zealand, 1997
Current Research Projects
- Innovative approaches to managing subsoil acidity in the southern grain region (GRDC 2015-2020)
- Understanding the amelioration processes of the subsoil application of amendments in the Southern Region (GRDC 2016-2021)
- Extending the boundaries of legume adaptation through better soil management (MLA/MLA Donor Company 2018-2022)
- Li GD, Conyers MK, Helyar KR, Lisle CJ, Poile GJ, Cullis BR (2019) Long-term surface application of lime ameliorates subsurface soil acidity in the mixed farming zone of south-eastern Australia. Geoderma 338, 236-246.
- Conyers M, Orchard B, Orgill S, Oates A, Poile G, Hayes R, Hawkins P, Xu B, Jia Y, van der Rijt V, Li GD (2018) Spatial variation in soil organic carbon and nitrogen at two field sites under crop and pasture rotations in southern New South Wales, Australia. Soil Research 56, 780-792.
- Hayes R, Wang S, Newell M, Turner K, Larsen J, Gazza L, Anderson J, Bell L, Cattani D, Frels K, Galassi E, Morgounov A, Revell C, Thapa D, Sacks E, Sameri M, Wade L, Westerbergh A, Shamanin V, Amanov A, Li GD (2018) The performance of early-generation perennial winter cereals at 21 sites across four continents. Sustainability 10, Article 1124 (1-28).
- Hayes RC, Li GD, Norton MR, Culvenor RA (2018) Effects of contrasting seasonal growth patterns on composition and persistence of mixed grass‐legume pastures over 5 years in a semi‐arid Australian cropping environment. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 204, 228-242.
- Li GD, Schwenke GD, Hayes RC, Xing H, Lowrie AJ, Lowrie RJ (2018) Does 3,4-dimethylpyrazole phosphate or N-(n-butyl) thiophosphoric triamide reduce nitrous oxide emissions from a rain-fed cropping system? Soil Research 56, 296-305.
- Hayes RC, McCormick JI, Oates AA, Poile GJ, Conyers MK, Gardner MJ, Price A, O'Keeffe P, Li GD (2017) Addressing biophysical constraints for Australian farmers applying low rates of composted dairy waste to soil. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 1-15.
- Li Y, Liu D, Schwenke G, Wang B, Macadam I, Wang WJ, Li GD, Dalal RC (2017) Responses of nitrous oxide emissions from crop rotation systems to four projected future climate change scenarios on a black Vertosol in subtropical Australia. Climatic Change 142, 545-558.
- Nordblom TL, Hutchings TR, Hayes RC, Li GD, Finlayson JD (2017) Does establishing lucerne under a cover crop increase farm financial risk? Crop and Pasture Science 68, 1149-1157.
- Peoples MB, Swan AD, Goward L, Kirkegaard JA, Hunt JR, Li GD, Schwenke GD, Herridge DF, Moodie M, Wilhelm N, Potter T, Denton MD, Browne C, Phillips LA, Khan DF (2017) Soil mineral nitrogen benefits derived from legumes and comparisons of the apparent recovery of legume or fertiliser nitrogen by wheat. Soil Research 55, 600-615.
- Sarker JR, Singh BP, He X, Fang Y, Li GD, Collins D, Cowie AL (2017) Tillage and nitrogen fertilization enhanced belowground carbon allocation and plant nitrogen uptake in a semi-arid canola crop–soil system. Scientific Reports 7, 10726.
Professional associations and activities
- Adjunct Professor – Charles Sturt University, Australia
- Adjunct Professor – University of Tasmania. Australia
- Adjunct Professor – Gansu Agricultural University, China
- Australian Society of Soil Science
- Australian Society of Agronomy
Fields of research
- 070302 Agronomy
- 070203 Animal Management
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC)
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Acid soil management
- Crop and pasture agronomy
- Grazing management
Location: Wagga Wagga Agricultural Institute
Ph: (02) 6938 1930