- Integrated pest and disease management in tropical and subtropical fruit
- Phenological based plant nutrition
- Improving post-harvest handling
- Digital extension technologies
Matt is a plant pathologist by training and moved into industry development in an effort to understand why growers don’t always adopt research and development.
Matt has 30 years research development and industry development experience in a wide range of tropical and subtropical crops, internationally and nationally. He is currently the subtropical banana industry development officer.
Matt is passionate about food and his greatest interest in horticulture is culinary.
- Bachelor of Science (Botany and Plant Pathology) – University of Sydney, 1992
- Subtropical banana development and extension project (Hort Innovation; Project leader; 2017-2020)
- Subtropical variety evaluation component of Better plant protection for the Australian banana industry (Hort Innovation; subcomponent leader; 2016-2020)
Fields of research
- 070603 Horticultural crop protection
- 050302 Soil chemistry
- 070602 Horticultural crop improvement (selection and breeding)
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC)
- Industry development
- Integrated pest and disease management
- Varietal selection and improvement
- Postharvest handling
Phone: 0438 644 136
Location: Wollongbar Primary Industries Institute