- Animal Nutrition
- NIR Methodology, especially development in Feed and Forage areas
- Onion pungency methodology and Mild Onion Certification
Richard Meyer heads the Department Of Primary Industries Feed Quality Service (FQS) at the Wagga Wagga Agricultural Institute (WWAI).
The FQS is a NATA Accredited Diagnostic and Analytical Laboratory which provides research support internally, and offers a service evaluating feeds and forage to growers, contractors, exporters and feedlots.
Richard joined NSW Agriculture* in 2003 as an Analytical Chemist and has worked in plant and soil analysis, olive oil quality testing and has also been involved with quantifying onion pungency and sensory evaluation work with the Australian Olive Oil Sensory Panel.
Richard has previously worked as an Analytical Chemist in the private sector with experience in specialty chemicals, paper and pulp and leather industries prior to joining the department.
*NSW Department of Primary Industries was formed on July 1, 2004 through an amalgamation of NSW Agriculture, NSW Fisheries, State Forests of NSW and the NSW Department of Mineral Resources.
- B.App.Sci (Analytical Chemistry), Charles Sturt University (1993)
- MBA, Charles Sturt University (2002)
- Improve efficiency and scope of feed quality evaluation methods
- Updating the departments feed and forage quality database
- Working with industry to establish a certified mild onion program
- Participation on the Australian Olive Oil Sensory Panel (AOOSP)
- Onion Pungency Testing and Consumer Calibration (2006), Horticulture Australia Ltd. Project VN04016
Professional associations and activities
- Member, Australian Olive Oil Sensory Panel
- Member, Australian Fodder Industry Association – Quality Evaluation Committee (AFIA-QEC)
Fields of research
- 030606 Structural Chemistry and Spectroscopy
- 030108 Separation Science
- 030101 Analytical Spectrometry
- 030103 Flow Analysis
- 030105 Instrumental Methods (excl. Immunological and Bioassay Methods)
- 030106 Quality Assurance, Chemometrics, Traceability and Metrological Chemistry
- 030199 Analytical Chemistry not elsewhere classified
- 070306 Crop and Pasture Nutrition
- 070204 Animal Nutrition
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Animal nutrition
- Analytical chemist
- Feed quality
- Onion pungency