- Diagnosis, epidemiology and control of pestivirus infections of livestock
- Investigation and evaluation of Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease virus (RHDV)
- Serological test development / epitope mapping
- Evaluation of vaccines against virus diseases of livestock
Andrew is one of the veterinary virologists in the Virology Laboratory at Elizabeth Macarthur Agricultural Institute (EMAI), Camden. He is part of the team that provides diagnostic, health certification and research services for viral diseases of commercial livestock and wildlife.
He is currently the principal investigator of a project aimed at the development of standard methods for the production of marine molluscan cell cultures, and is also involved in the evaluation of cattle vaccines and biological control of feral rabbits.
Andrew has a veterinary degree from Sydney University and a PhD from Melbourne University. He represents DPI on the Laboratories for Emergency Animal Disease Diagnosis and Response (LEADDR) network and the Rabbit Biological Control Scientific Committee. He is also the treasurer for the Australian Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD) and the NSW liaison person for the National Avian Influenza Wild Bird Surveillance Program.
He has published articles on a variety of viruses including Equine Influenza virus, Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease virus and West Nile virus in journals including Journal of Virology, Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Australian Veterinary Journal.
BVSc (Hons) - University of Sydney 1993
PhD - University of Melbourne 2007
- RHDV Boost: enhancing the biocontrol of European Rabbits through evaluation of new isolates of Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease Virus
- Evaluation of alternative testing methods for bovine pestivirus
- Development of vaccines against virus diseases of cattle
- Eden, J. S., Read, A. J., Duckworth, J. A., Strive, T. & Holmes, E. C. 2015. Resolving the Origin of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus: Insights from an Investigation of the Viral Stocks Released in Australia. Journal of Virology, 89, 12217-12220.
- Finlaison, D. S., Read, A. J., Zhang, J., Paskin, R. & Kirkland, P. D. 2014. Application of a real-time polymerase chain reaction assay to the diagnosis of bovine ephemeral fever during an outbreak in New South Wales and northern Victoria in 2009-10. Australian Veterinary Journal, 92, 24-27.
- Read, A. J., Arzey, K. E., Finlaison, D. S., Gu, X., Davis, R. J., Ritchie, L. & Kirkland, P. D. 2012. A prospective longitudinal study of naturally infected horses to evaluate the performance characteristics of rapid diagnostic tests for equine influenza virus. Veterinary Microbiology, 156, 246-255.
Fields of research
- 070703 Veterinary Diagnosis and Diagnostics
- 070709 Veterinary Pathology
- 070712 Veterinary Virology
Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Classification (ANZSRC)
Keyword/phrase list of research interests
- Veterinary virology
- Animal health
- Diagnostic virology
- Rapid diagnostic tests
- Biological control