- Science communication
- Freshwater fish community ecology
- Environmental flows
- Fish-friendly technology
Based in Freshwater Ecosystems Research, Tom helps deliver knowledge to empower fisheries management. That means working with scientists and managers to help build a sustainable future for farming and fishing, as communities recover from droughts, fires, floods and COVID-19. For further information view Tom’s LinkedIn profile.
- PhD, James Cook University
- B. Env. Sci. (Hons 1), The University of New South Wales
- Screens for Streams
- Basin Plan Environmental Watering Outcomes
Please refer to Tom Rayner’s Google Scholar profile
Professional associations and achievements
- Improving the health of Australia's rivers by leading ecological research. Tom has published 18 papers with 1000+ citations (h-index = 12, June 2020), 2 book chapters and several first-class Honours and PhD graduates.
- Shooting for National Geographic as an Expedition Photographer in the Amazon. Tom also studied photojournalism, produced 3 solo photo exhibitions and crowd funded a photo book.
- Helping dozens of researchers and labs improve their science communication. Tom has distilled his experience into a simple, effective approach for research communication and engagement. He now uses that as a high-performance coach for scientists.
Phone: (02) 4916 3849