A diet fit for a pig: seven basic rules
When a pig is fed a proper diet there are benefits to the pig in terms of its health and well being; and for the business manager there are benefits in feed use efficiency, good pig growth rates and better profitability.
The basic principles of pig nutrition have been simplified to 7 basic rules.
- outdoor pigs need more than just pasture to survive
- cereal grains must be processed
- one diet does not suit all pigs
- feed a balanced ration
- water should be available at all times and readily accessible for all age groups
- do not feed prohibited substances (swill) to pigs
- check for hazardous substances in feed
Published: 01 Jun 2013