Transported Stock Statement (TSS): Questions and answers


The Transported Stock Statement (TSS) system was introduced in 1990 partly to assist NSW Police to trace stolen stock.

The TSS scheme is provided for in Part 9 of the Local Land Services Act 2013 and Part 8 of the Local Land Services Regulation 2014.

Frequently asked questions about TSSs

You must use a TSS whenever cattle, sheep, goats, horses or some non-indigenous animals (commonly known as Bison, Buffalo, Camel, Blackbuck, Banteng or Guanaco) are to be transported by a vehicle, whether it be by road, rail, water or air.

Your Local Land Services (LLS) office stocks supplies of TSS.

Yes. A TSS is not required in the following circumstances:

  1. when stock are transported into New South Wales from another state or from the Australian Capital Territory, and transported within New South Wales for up to 30 kilometres before returning to that other state or territory as part of an unbroken journey;
  2. when stock are transported across or along a road from one part of a holding to another part that would be contiguous with the first-mentioned part but for being separated by the road;
  3. when stock are transported to or from a place for treatment by a veterinary surgeon;
  4. when horses are being transported to or from any agricultural show, exhibition, gymkhana, pony club meeting or similar function;
  5. when racehorses, harness racing horses or working horses are being transported from one place to another;
  6. when stock are transported in any other circumstances prescribed by the regulations;
  7. when stock are transported under the provisions of a stock permit issued under Section 78 of the Local Land Services Act 2013, or a permit issued under Part 21, Sections 333 and 336 of the Biosecurity Act 2015.

LLS may charge a fee for a TSS. These fees may vary throughout the state, so contact the nearest LLS office for further information on TSS fees. To locate your local LLS office please ring 1300 795 299

The TSS is in two parts:

Part 1 of a TSS should be completed by the owner of the stock. The 'owner of the stock' includes:

  1. an employee of the owner of the stock;
  2. a person other than the owner of the stock who is responsible for the stock (for example, a carrier);
  3. an employee of a person referred to in paragraph b.

Part 2 must be completed by the driver of the vehicle.

If the person who fills out Part 1 of the TSS is not the carrier of the stock two copies of the form are needed. The original must be given to the carrier. If the carrier completes Part 1 of the form, then only the original is required.

Part 1 of the TSS should be completed by the owner or person in charge of the stock prior to the commencement of the journey at the consignment property. The carrier or person in charge of the stock while they are transported must complete.

Part 2 of the form while the stock are being transported.

At least two years. This applies to:

  • an owner of stock who is transporting his/her own stock by vehicle
  • an owner of stock who provides another person who is transporting the stock with a TSS
  • a person in charge of a vehicle transporting stock who is provided with a TSS
  • a consignee who is provided with a TSS

TSSs are enforced predominantly by police officers, but they can also be enforced by officers who have been authorised to exercise functions conferred on them under Part 9 of the Local Land Services Act 2013. If you are ever in doubt about the authenticity of an authorised officer, ask to see their certificate of authority.

Providing that an authorised officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a vehicle is being used to transport stock, they may stop and search the vehicle. Subject to certain conditions set out in the Act, an authorised officer may also give reasonable directions to any person in or on the vehicle, or in the vicinity of a vehicle which they believe is being used to transport stock. Further details regarding the powers of authorised officers in respect of TSSs can be found at sections 123 and 124 of the Local Land Services Act 2013.

You may face prosecution and a penalty of up to $2200.

When you look at the consignment note you will see a TSS logo printed in the top left-hand corner of the document. Only those consignment notes approved by the Stock Transportation Accreditation Committee carry this logo. The Stock Transportation Accreditation Committee is comprised of one representative from each of the Department of Primary Industries, NSW Police and the Livestock and Bulk Carriers Association.

A stock transporter can apply to the Stock Transportation Accreditation Committee for approval of their consignment note as a TSS. In order for such approval to be granted, the consignment note must contain certain information. The Committee can approve consignment notes subject to them being compiled or identified in a particular manner (see sections 119 (1) and 127 of the Local Land Services Act 2013 and clause 83 of the Local Land Services Regulation 2014).

Frequently asked questions on the use of National Vendor Declaration forms as a TSS

Livestock Production Assurance (LPA) National Vendor Declaration (NVD) forms for Sheep and Lambs, Cattle, Goats and Bobby Calves, and European Union Vendor Declarations for Cattle are approved and can be used as a TSS in NSW. It is important to use the most recent version of LPA NVDs available when transporting stock for sale or to slaughter.

No. The NVD includes additional information relating to the food safety and market accessibility of the consigned livestock, which is not included in the TSS.

You can obtain information on LPA NVD forms and how to order them from Livestock Production Assurance ( Order LPA NVDs by calling the LPA Helpline on 1800 683 111 or by emailing

Frequently asked questions on the use of Animal Health Statements as TSSs

No. The National Sheep Health Statement and the Goat Health Statement are not approved as TSSs in NSW.

Frequently asked questions on the mutual recognition of NSW and ACT forms for transported stock

NSW producers, agents and carriers who have a TSS can move stock from NSW into the ACT without having to additionally complete and carry an ACT Permit to Travel Stock. ACT producers, agents and carriers who have a Permit to Travel Stock can move stock from the ACT into NSW without having to additionally complete and carry a new TSS.

Consignment notes that are approved as a TSS by the Stock Transportation Accreditation Committee and carry the TSS logo are accepted as a valid stock transport document in the ACT.

Yes, the LPA NVD forms approved in NSW as a TSS are accepted as valid stock transport documents in the ACT.

Transporting horses in NSW FAQs

Find out what you need to know about transporting horses in NSW (PDF, 176 KB)

Livestock, Bulk and Rural Carriers Association contact

If you need assistance with, or more information about, the application process for approval of a transporter's consignment note as a TSS, contact the Livestock, Bulk and Rural  and Bulk Carriers Association of NSW on (02) 6295 6651 or 0432 336 718 or email

Police contacts and Crimestoppers

For further information or clarification, contact your local Rural Crime Investigator.

For stolen stock matters, please contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.