Project 3: Biomass for Bioenergy
- Identify and test the suitability of specific crops to supply biomass for bioenergy
- In collaboration with industry test the potential of pellets for electricity generation.
- Conduct techno-economic assessments of hybrid solar-biomass concepts for regional energy generation
- Analyse potential contribution of bioenergy to emissions reduction in NSW considering factors such as biomass supply, alternative bioenergy technologies and integration within current energy systems.
- Understand community perceptions around bioenergy
Literature review and industry/stakeholder engagement
Informing energy crop trials and energy generation options.
Work with landholders to establish energy crop trials.
Large-scale energy generation
Partnerships with energy generators and biomass producers.
Potential for hybrid solar:biomass power stations.
Engagement with local communities
Socio-spatial case studies for selected regions.
Greenhouse emissions under large scale bioenergy adoption (life-cycle approach; considering integration with current energy systems).
Optimal biomass varieties and sources identified.
Biomass yield per hectare for each variety established. Identification of key challenges and potential barriers for adoption.
Feedstock suitability for pellet production understood, including ability of energy-generation facilities to support introduction of biomass.
Framework established for assessing viability of different electricity generation options at a regional level.
Framework in place for assessing climate mitigation potential of bioenergy generation options.
Energy generation capacity of optimal identified crops identified.
Using case-studies demonstration of the feasibility of large-scale electricity generation using biomass and the potential for hybrid solar:biomass plants in regional NSW.
Greenhouse implications of adoption of bioenergy generation scenarios in NSW understood.
Adoption of biomass as a dispatchable energy option for electricity generation in NSW, resulting in lower emissions, greater energy security and promoting socio-economic growth in regional areas.