Current situation

NSW DPI works with Local Land Services (LLS) and other agencies/organisations to support the NSW State Emergency Service (SES) by coordinating animal welfare relief services for livestock, wildlife and companion animals and assisting affected primary producers.

Emergency flood response

DPI and LLS are providing assistance to landholders and communities with animal welfare-related issues resulting from the floods, including:

  • Animal assessment and veterinary assistance
  • Stock euthanasia and burial
  • Emergency fodder (up to three days supply)
  • Emergency stock water (where there is an immediate animal welfare concern)
  • Livestock feeding and management advice
  • Care of animals in evacuation centres

Animal safe places

Last updated: 10 Feb 2020 12:06pm

Where possible please take your animals with you. Evacuation centres will accept pets and animals or refer you and your pet to appropriate facilities. The care of animals in one of these facilities remains your responsibility.

We continue to coordinate care and welfare for animals accompanying their owners at human evacuation centres. View a list of these centres.

The following animal safe places have been assessed by Agriculture and Animal Services for safety and suitability for people who have no other arrangements in place and need to relocate their animals, including larger animals such as horses, cattle and sheep.

This list will be updated as sites are opened and closed according to need and capacity:

  • Castle Hill Showground
  • Penrith Paceway

Animal owners do not have to call prior to arriving at one of these facilities. Some have Agriculture and Animal Services staff on site to assist. Moving animals and care of them at these centres is the owners’ responsibility including making sure they are fed, watered, have identification and regularly checked.


After an emergency, primary producers and the community can implement a range of actions and access services and assistance to aid recovery.

Primary producers should report flood-related damage including stock and fodder losses, damage to crops, pastures, fencing and other farm infrastructure through the Natural Disaster Damage Survey. This will ensure we understand the severity and regional distribution of the damage and can target resources and assistance in the appropriate areas.

Local government areas in NSW declared Natural Disasters are eligible for assistance under Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA). Additional assistance measures for primary producers, which include recovery grants, are available for eligible areas. To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.

Information on local recovery activities can be sought from your Local Land Services on 1300 795 299.

Key contacts

Reporting emergenciesTelephone
Life threatening emergencies, including floods000
NSW State Emergency Service (SES) For emergency help in floods and storms call 132 500
Additional informationTelephone
Local Land Services office (LLS) 1300 795 299
NSW Rural Assistance Authority1800 678 593
Current natural disaster declarations02 9212 9200