|Name:||Off-road four wheel drive (4x4) training|
|Description:||How to safely operate a four wheel drive vehicle off-road and use vehicle recovery techniques.|
|Cost:||From $645 GST free depending on location. Includes manual.|
Bring your own 4x4 vehicle.
- Maintain and operate a 4WD vehicle safely and effectively under a range of off-road conditions
- Carry out 4WD vehicle recovery operations safely and effectively
- Operate 4WD vehicles safely and effectively
- Operate vehicle on, or across, a slope
- Operate vehicle ascending a steep slope including stall recovery
- Operate vehicle descending a steep slope including stall recovery
- Operate jack
- Operate vehicle in rugged terrain
- Negotiate water crossings
- Recover vehicle
- Four wheel driving theory
- Maintenance and vehicle set up
- Field exercises – dirt road driving, slopes, rugged terrain driving
- Stall recovery
- Vehicle recovery techniques – snatch straps, electric winching and jacking
- Field exercises – negotiating mud, sand, and water crossings
|Resources and method of delivery:|
Participants receive the NSW DPI publication A Field Guide to Four-Wheel Driving.
This practical course is delivered using indoor and outdoor instruction.
This course is mapped to the following national units of competency:
- FWPCOT3259 - Operate a four wheel drive on unsealed roads
- FWPCOT3260 - Recover four wheel drive vehicles
*Note: This course requires competent operation of a manual gearbox. If you are unsure whether you meet these requirements, please talk to our short course coordinator before enrolment.
Contact us to register your interest in this course.
Other dates and locations are available on demand.
Subscribe to our mailing list and be one of the first to hear about the latest news, events, publications and upcoming courses available through Tocal College.
Current scheduled courses