|Name:||Queen bee breeding|
|Description:||This course suits beekeepers and people interested in entering the queen bee industry.|
|Cost:||$480 (GST free)|
- Develop an understanding of queen bee production.
- Develop and demonstrate the skills to produce quality queen bees.
- Graft queen cells with correct age larvae.
- Raise quality queen bees.
- Implement a queen breeding program
|Course program/structure:||Day 1|
- Queen bee rearing principles
- Cell bars and cell raising colonies
- Managing small and large numbers of cells
- Mating procedure
- Biology of honey bees
- Reproductive system
- Life cycle
- Importance of nutrition and disease management
- Breeding program and selection of stock
- Drone mother hive management
- Nucleus colony size/management
- Mating yard design
- Catching, marking, clipping and caging queen bees
- Packing, mailing and transporting queen bees
- Banking queens
- Queen candy
- Queen bee introduction
- Artificial Insemination (AI)
|Resources and method of delivery:||
Each participant receives the Queen Bee Breeding AgGuide and grafting kit.
This course is delivered using both indoor and outdoor instruction.
|Accreditation:||This course has been mapped to the national unit of competency, AHCBEK407A - Rear queen bees.|
Contact us to register your interest in this course.
Other dates and locations are available on demand.
Subscribe to our mailing list and be one of the first to hear about the latest news, events, publications and upcoming courses available through Tocal College.
Current scheduled courses
Lismore 4th Dec 2017
Southern Cross University
4th Dec 2017 - 5th Dec 2017
or call Kim Griffiths on (02) 4939 8881 (ph)