The following terms of reference set out the process by which the committee will perform its functions:
- Review and assess funding applications received by DPI seeking funding from the Aboriginal Fishing Trust Fund. Applications are assessed against a range of criteria, including: the extent of benefits to Aboriginal community in relation to fishing, cost effectiveness, commitment and capacity to undertake the project and, project team expertise.
- Seek business, technical or expert advice as necessary when making recommendations of a business or investment nature, particularly where an application seeks large grant funding.
- Provide funding recommendations to AFAC following review and assessment of funding applications.
- Receive Aboriginal Fishing Trust Fund project updates from DPI and provide advice to AFAC and DPI on any issues arising from the project updates.
- Provide advice to AFAC on any other specific issue referred to AFTEC.
*Note that the function of AFTEC members does not include representing AFAC.