Call for Expression of Interest
The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) is calling for Expressions of Interest from NSW fishing industry representatives and other individuals from relevant interest groups, who are interested in becoming a member of:
- Ministerial Fisheries Advisory Council (MFAC)
- Commercial Fishing NSW Advisory Council (CommFish NSW)
- Recreational Fishing NSW Advisory Council (RFNSW)
- The Ministerial Fisheries Advisory Council (MFAC) was established in 2014 to provide the Minister with high-level strategic policy advice on issues relating to the management of fisheries resources in NSW.
- Similarly, the Recreational Fishing (RFNSW) and Commercial Fishing (CommFish NSW) NSW Advisory Councils were established in 2016 and 2017 respectively to provide advice to the Minister on matters relating to the relevant industries.
- The advice provided by the Councils assists the Minister (and DPI Fisheries NSW) to develop sound policies and decisions to manage the fisheries resources and ecosystems of NSW, in accordance with the objects of the Fisheries Management Act 1994 which are to conserve, develop and share the fishery resources of the State for the benefit of present and future generations.
Skills and experience (selection criteria)
The following skills and experience will be considered important in selecting members to MFAC, CommFish NSW and RFNSW:
- Significant experience in the region or sector represented and a sound understanding of the particular issues relevant to that region, fishery sector or interest group
- Excellent understanding of the region, sector or interest group and of the threats, challenges and opportunities facing the State’s fisheries resources
- Strong consultation experience and communication skills, and the ability to represent a range of industry/interest group views
- Willingness to engage in constructive discussion with other council members and with government in an objective and impartial manner
- Willingness to follow established standards of conduct and meeting protocols
- Capacity to attend up to four Council meetings per year and undertake required preparation for meetings (this includes not being over-burdened with positions on other groups and committees)
- The three Advisory Councils have been classified as in category C, Level2ii by the Public Service Commissioner.
- MFAC members receive a remuneration of $5,000 per annum, plus expenses in accordance with the Classification and Remuneration Framework for NSW Boards and Committees.
- CommFish NSW and RFNSW members receive a remuneration of $2500 per annum, plus expenses in accordance with the Classification and Remuneration Framework for NSW Boards and Committees.
Submitting an EOI
Expressions of Interest (EOIs) for the role of committee member can be submitted electronically below.
Closing date: 29 September 2019