Call for Expressions of Interest
Ministerial Fisheries Advisory Council
The NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) is calling for Expressions of Interest for the role of independent Chairperson of the Ministerial Fisheries Advisory Council (MFAC).
MFAC was established in 2014 to provide the Minister for Agriculture with high-level strategic policy advice on issues relating to the management of fisheries resources in NSW.
The advice provided by MFAC assists the Minister and the DPI to develop sound policies and make decisions to manage the fisheries resources and ecosystems of NSW, in accordance with the objects of the Fisheries Management Act 1994 which are to conserve, develop and share the fishery resources of the State for the benefit of present and future generations.
The Chairperson is responsible for:
- chairing Council meetings
- providing leadership and promoting cohesiveness, effectiveness and functioning of the Council
- ensuring that meetings are focused, providing direction where necessary, ensuring individual members make an effective contribution in debate, and facilitating discussion
- facilitating the flow of information to members and stakeholders, liaising with the Minister and the Deputy Director General of DPI Fisheries, and reviewing the performance and contribution of members
- consulting with and assisting an Executive Officer provided by the DPI in the preparation of meeting agendas, records of meetings, correspondence and reports of relevance to Council business.
Skills and experience
The Chairperson is appointed by the Minister.
The following skills and experience will be considered important in selecting the Chairperson:
- Significant expertise and experience in the management of fisheries.
- Excellent understanding of the threats, challenges and opportunities facing the State’s fisheries resources.
- Strong consultation experience and communication skills.
- Willingness to facilitate constructive discussion with council members and with government in an objective and impartial manner.
- Willingness to follow established standards of conduct and meeting protocols.
- Capacity to attend up to four Council meetings per year and undertake required preparation for meetings (this includes not being over-burdened with positions on other groups and committees)
Independent Chairperson – requirements and preclusion of industry interests
The Chairperson of MFAC is to be a person who in the opinion of the Minister:
- has no direct or indirect pecuniary interest in the fisheries concerned;
- does not represent the DPI;
- does not represent any sectoral interests;
- has significant expertise and experience in the management of fisheries; and
- is not a member of the advisory Council.
For further details about MFAC please refer to the following DPI webpage: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/consultation.
The Ministerial Fisheries Advisory Councils has been classified as Category C, Level 2-i by the Public Service Commissioner.
The MFAC Chairperson receives a remuneration of $10,000 per annum, plus expenses in accordance with the Classification and Remuneration Framework for NSW Boards and Committees.
Submitting an EOI
To be considered for the role of independent Chairperson of the MFAC, please submit a CV and cover letter addressed to Mr Sean Sloan, Deputy Director General Fisheries, NSW Department of Primary Industries, outlining your interest and suitability for the role.
Applications can be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Closing date: Midnight Sunday 22 May 2022