DPI Fisheries has recently established a Trawl Whiting Harvest Strategy Working Group (Working Group) to engage in a collaborative process to develop a formal harvest strategy for the Trawl Whiting Fishery in New South Wales.
Developing a harvest strategy for the Trawl Whiting Fishery will improve transparency and certainty in future decision making on Total Allowable Catch levels and engage fishers and key stakeholders in the design and development process.
The Working Group is a sub-committee of the NSW Commercial Fisheries Advisory Council (CommFish). The newly appointed members and Chairperson are all highly experienced and bring decades of experience to this important Working Group.
The Chairperson is Mr Peter Neville. Mr Neville has extensive fisheries management experience in Australia.
Professor Tony Smith AM is the Independent Scientist and Dr Julian Morison, Director at BDO EconSearch, is the Independent Economist.
Other members of the Working Group include:
- Mr Brett Bollinger – appointed as NSW Ocean Trawl Fishery member
- Mr Frank Musumeci – appointed as NSW Ocean Trawl Fishery member
- Mr Gregory Parker –– appointed as NSW Ocean Trawl Fishery member
- Mr Michael Pinzone – appointed as NSW Ocean Trawl Fishery member
- Prof Stephan Schnierer– appointed as NSW Aboriginal Fisheries Advisory Council member
- Mr Darren Ward– appointed as Commercial Fishing NSW Advisory Council member
- Ms Patricia Beatty – appointed as Professional Fishers’ Association member
- Ms Jo Starling – appointed as Recreational Fishing NSW Advisory Council member
- Dr Natalie Moltschaniwskyj (Director of DPI Fisheries Research) – appointed as DPI Fisheries Scientist
- Mr Darren Hale. - Department of Primary Industries Fisheries Manager
Trawl Whiting Harvest Strategy Working Group Terms Of Reference (PDF, 675.62 KB)
Meeting 1 - 20 November 2020 - Online
Meeting 2 - 3 & 4 December 2020 - Ballina
Meeting 3 - 17 December 2020 - Online
Meeting 4 - 21 January 2021 - Online
Meeting 5 - 4 March 2021 - Online
Meeting 6 - 13 April 2021 - Online