COVID-19: Border crossing and permit information

Last updated: 03 Sep 2021 8:49am

Registering your travel within NSW

Travelling within Regional NSW

A travel registration is not required to travel within regional NSW.

Leaving Greater Sydney

If you live in Greater Sydney, you may need to register when travelling for work outside of Greater Sydney.

Greater Sydney does not include Shellharbour and the Central Coast for the purposes of this travel registration. People travelling to Shellharbour and the Central Coast in the circumstances listed will be required to register to do so.

You will need to register to travel outside of Greater Sydney if you are:

  • travelling for work more than 50km outside Greater Sydney (including authorised workers from local government areas of concern)
  • inspecting a potential place of residence outside Greater Sydney because you genuinely need a place to live in, as soon as practicable (no investment properties)
  • moving between 2 places of residence: 
    • for your work (only the worker can travel to the residence)
    • to undertake urgent maintenance, repairs, or attend to animal welfare (if so, only 1 person may travel to the other residence).

Use the Travel registration checker for Greater Sydney residents to check if you need to register your travel outside of Greater Sydney.

Leaving or entering area of concern for work

From 12.01am on Saturday 28 August 2021, you will need to register your travel within NSW if you are:

Work travel registration - general information

The travel registration is valid for a maximum of 14 days and you will need to reapply if:

  • you are travelling for more than 14 days, or
  • your travel dates change or need to be amended.

You must carry your travel registration and supporting documents with you at all times as you will need to provide these to NSW Police if requested. You may also need to provide evidence of having had a COVID-19 test as required for Sydney workers or that you have met any COVID-19 vaccination requirements that apply to you.

Supporting documents may include a letter from your employer with your:

  • employer details and your details
  • what work you do and why you need to travel
  • your hours of work – for example, 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
  • the dates over which the work will be carried out.

If you are self-employed, supporting documents may include a letter with:

  • the name of the business
  • the type of business
  • the number of employees, including apprentices
  • the location of where the work is taking place.

Further information and to apply go to Register to travel to regional NSW | Service NSW

Travelling to and from NSW

All states and territories now have requirements for travellers from NSW.

Prior to travel, check the relevant state's border controls as you may be required to complete either a declaration or apply for a permit ahead of your travel date, or upon your return travel into NSW.

Some areas of NSW have been identified as high risk areas and residents, or recent travellers to these areas, may not be able to cross certain borders.

Travellers coming into NSW, including returning NSW residents, are now required to complete a travel declaration.

The situation is changing frequently, so travellers are advised to regularly check travel requirements.

The latest updates on border crossings can be found here:

Key links for each bordering state are:

For specific state information on permits or passes for primary industries related workers, visit:

Border communities

Border residents should keep monitoring requirements as border controls change.