The caretaker period for the NSW Election commenced on 1 March 2019. Accordingly, no ministerial press releases or related information issued by the Government from 1 March 2019 will be available on this website. For copies of recently-issued ministerial press releases or information on the election policies of any political party, please go to the website of the relevant political party.

General Commercial licence

Apply or renew your licence

You can apply for a new game hunting licence or renew an existing licence using our online licensing services. You can read more about applying or renewing online or use the links below to get started.

If you want to apply for a licence type that is Restricted, it is important to read about how to become accredited and qualify for the licence before you apply.

A technical issue is currently preventing applicants using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) from attaching supporting documents to an application. You can still lodge an online application using a non-iOS device or computer.

Apply Renew

Commercial hunting is hunting for the purpose of selling any part of the harvested or captured game animal.

You need to apply for a General commercial licence (G-commercial) if you want to hunt deer and other game animals on private land and then sell any part of the animal harvested.

A G-commercial licence does not entitle you to hunt on public land.

The G-commercial licence requirements are based on international best-practice and help to increase public confidence in the sale of game meat and other animal products.

Licensing of commercial harvesters ensures consistency in the harvest of meat and other animal products for sale and lifts the standards of ethical behaviour, public safety and animal welfare.

Information on other legal requirements relating to the sale of wild game meat is available from the NSW Food Authority.

If you are paying by credit card, use the links above to apply or renew online. If you are paying by cheque or money order, use the application forms below.

NSW General (Commercial) Game Hunting Licence - application/renewal form (PDF, 121.3 KB)

NSW Game Hunting Licence - licence replacement form (PDF, 104.41 KB)

NSW (Commercial) Game Hunting Licence - wild deer tag application form (PDF, 119.08 KB)


Applicants for a G-commercial licence must:

  • be over 18 years
  • hold a firearms licence
  • provide information on the vehicle to be used for commercial harvesting.

Special conditions


A vehicle identification sticker is supplied with a G-commercial licence and must be displayed on your vehicle at all times.

This is a mandatory requirement that assists with identification of commercial activities as well as enforcement.

Wild deer tags

All commercial hunters must purchase wild deer tags from NSW Department of Primary Industries before harvesting any deer. The fee is $1 per tag.

Tags must be attached to all species of deer immediately after commercial harvesting. It is illegal to have a commercially harvested deer in your possession that is not displaying a tag.

Harvest return forms

You will be provided with quarterly harvest return forms that must be  promptly returned when due. Returns must include details of the harvested animals, the location you harvested them from, and details of the person or organisation you sold the harvested animals to.

You must always keep a copy of any submitted form.

Commercial fauna harvesters

Please note that if you are a commercial fauna harvester licensed by the National Parks and Wildlife Service, and you wish to harvest and sell deer in addition to kangaroos, you must also apply for and hold a commercial game hunting licence.

Exemptions from regulations

Commercial game hunting licence holders are exempt from the regulations applying to the use of spotlights and electronic devices (such as night vision enhancement eyewear), hunting from vehicles and deer seasons. However, these regulations are currently suspended for all Game Hunting Licence holders on all lands across NSW.


Use the links at the top of the page to either apply online or submit an application form (PDF, 121.3 KB).


Licence term Full rate Concession rate
1 year $300 $200
2 years $550 $367
3 years $775 $517
4 years $1000 $666
5 years $1200 $800

The concession rate is only available to pensioners holding an eligible pension card. Minor hunters are not eligible to hold a commercial licence.


Commercial game hunting licences do not include public liability insurance cover. Any insurance is the responsibility of the licence holder.

If you are using your licence for the purposes of private (standard) hunting, your licence includes $25 million public liability cover. You should keep a record of your paid and private hunting to satisfy the insurer should you make a claim.