General Professional licence

Apply for or renew your licence

You can apply for a new game hunting licence or renew an existing licence using our online services. You can read more about applying or renewing online or use the links below to get started.

If you want to apply for a licence type that is Restricted, it is important to read about how to become accredited and qualify for the licence before you apply.

A technical issue is currently preventing applicants using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) from attaching supporting documents to an application. You can still lodge an online application using a non-iOS device or computer.

Apply Renew

A professional hunter is a person who hunts or captures game animals in the course of any paid employment or engagement.

You need to apply for a General professional licence (G-professional) if you are hired or employed to hunt deer and other game animals on private land.

A G-professional licence does not entitle you to hunt on public land, or to guide others or sell any part of the harvested animal.

This licence confers the authority of a Professional Licence as well as a General (Standard) game hunting licence.

If you are paying by credit card, use the links above to apply or renew online. If you are paying by cheque or money order, use the application forms below.

NSW General (Professional) Game Hunting Licence - application/renewal form (PDF, 135.56 KB)

NSW Game Hunting Licence - licence replacement form (PDF, 104.41 KB)


Applicants for a G-professional licence must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • be actively engaged or employed, or intend to be actively engaged or employed, as a professional contract shooter to control or suppress deer species on private land for payment (evidence may be required).
  • have a registered business name and an active ABN in their name
  • hold a current firearms licence with a genuine reason of:
    • 'Vertebrate Pest Animal Control - Contract Shooter'
    • ‘Business or Employment – other (eradication of birds or pest animals on non-rural land)’, or
    • an equivalent interstate firearms licence.

Note: Under firearms legislation, the genuine reason (‘Vertebrate Pest Animal Control’ or ‘Business/Employment-Other’) must be attached to the category of firearm you use while hunting professionally. It's your responsibility to ensure you are correctly licensed. For more information, contact NSW Police Force Firearms Registry on 1300 362 562.

Special conditions

Professional hunters must

  • display the professional hunter identification sticker on the outside of their vehicle when hunting professionally.
  • use a log book to record their professional hunting activities (supplied by the Game Licensing Unit).
  • for each quarter (March, June, September and December), send a copy of the log book pages to the Game Licensing Unit within one month of it ending.
  • submit quarterly harvest returns for their G-Professional licence to remain current.
  • tell the Game Licensing Unit about any changes to their details within 14 days.

Exemptions from regulations

Professional game hunting licence holders are exempt from the regulations applying to the use of spotlights and electronic devices (such as night vision enhancement eyewear), hunting from vehicles and deer seasons. However, these regulations are currently suspended for all Game Hunting Licence holders on all lands across NSW.


Use the links at the top of the page to either apply online or submit an application form (PDF, 135.56 KB).


Licence term

Full rate

Concession rate

1 year


2 years


3 years


4 years


5 years



The concession rate is only available to pensioners holding an eligible pension card. Minor hunters are not eligible to hold a professional licence.


Professional game hunting licences do not include public liability insurance cover. Any insurance is the responsibility of the licence holder.

If you are using your licence for the purposes of private (standard) hunting, your licence includes $25 million public liability cover. You should keep a record of your paid and private hunting to satisfy the insurer should you make a claim.