Plant Health Certificate (PHC)

You may need a biosecurity certificate if you want to move items such as plants, plant products, agricultural equipment, used packaging, soil or organic matter between NSW and other states or territories, or within NSW. One type of biosecurity certificate, known as a Plant Health Certificate (PHC), will provide evidence that the item meets the quarantine requirements of its destination. The PHC must go with the item to the destination provided on the PHC once an Authorised Officer has issued you with one.

How do I get a NSW PHC?

Plan ahead to ensure you have your PHC when you need it. It takes time for an Authorised Officer to receive a request and make arrangements with you. You need to:

  1. Contact the importing state or territory for their current plant entry conditions.
  2. Find more information on the quarantine requirements for your item when moving within NSW or to other states and territories.
  3. Submit a request by –
    1. email to or
    2. phone 1800 680 244 (Option 6) (Monday – Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm)
      Your request will be assigned to an Authorised Officer. Allow at least 48 hours for an Authorised Officer to respond to your enquiry.
      The Authorised Officer will contact you. If the Authorised Officer confirms the necessary quarantine requirements have been met you will be issued with a PHC.
  4. Move the item together with the PHC, to the destination detailed on the PHC.

How much does it cost?

The inspection required to issue a PHC costs $37.50 per 15 minutes or part thereof.

The invoice is emailed or posted after the inspection and payment is required within 30 days.

Are there other biosecurity certificates for plant biosecurity?

Plant Health Assurance Certificate (PHAC) – self-certification

If you become an accredited business under the Interstate Certification Assurance (ICA) scheme you can self-certify using a Plant Health Assurance Certificate (PHAC).

Biosecurity certificate for Area Freedom

Contact us for information on how to apply for a Biosecurity certificate for Area Freedom.