A NSW Government website

Rules for moving products into NSW


The Emergency Order sets out the rules for moving the products regulated as fire ant carriers into NSW.

Products including organic mulch, compost, growing media, manure, soil and anything with soil on it, hay, straw, chaff, silage, potted plants, turf, agricultural equipment, earth moving equipment, sand, gravel, chitters, coal fines, coal stone, overburden and decomposed granite are regulated as fire ant carriers in NSW.

The Emergency Order requires these products to be treated, inspected and certified before they enter NSW.

If you are initiating the movement of a fire ant carrier into NSW, the Emergency Order requires you to declare a Record of Movement.

Queensland also has rules that apply to people and businesses moving products that can carry fire ants.

Seen them? Contact us.

Use the online form for any suspicious sightings or call 1800 680 244.