In 2023, NSW produced 65,366 tonnes of pork. 7,538 tonnes of this was exported, while the rest was consumed domestically, by Australian households and businesses. There are just over 63,000 sows in NSW, which accounts for about 21% of the national sow herd. About 96% of these are grown for commercial purposes, while the other 4% are kept by hobbyists, for individual use, or as pets.

All pig owners, regardless of scale or purpose, are responsible for maintaining the health and welfare of the pigs in their care, as well as meeting the legal requirements for pig ownership.

The NSW DPI works to maintain and grow the sustainability and viability of the pork industry across a range of areas, including biosecurity, animal welfare, traceability, food safety, and land use planning.

NSW DPI's industry development activities often happen in collaboration with other pig-related organisations, including Australian Pork Limited (APL), the NSW Farmers Pork Committee, the Australian Meat Industry Council (AMIC), and the Australasian Pork Research Institute Limited (APRIL).

To stay up to date on news and information related to pig health, nutrition, management suggestions, research and regulation updates, and other industry events or updates, consider subscribing to PigBytes. PigBytes is a quarterly newsletter produced by NSW DPI in collaboration with Agriculture Victoria, Queensland's Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, and South Australia's Department of Primary Industries and Regions.

NSW DPI Agriculture Intensive Livestock Industries group has a Leader Pigs and Poultry available for general industry inquiries. Contact Peta Easey at peta.easey@dpi.nsw.gov.au.

In this section