Project 3: Biomass for bioenergy
Demonstration of potential for bioenergy to contribute to energy system transformation in NSW
This project is investigating opportunities for increasing the amount of sustainable biomass use in NSW with a focus on electricity generation. The purpose of the project is to identify available and potential feedstocks for bioenergy generation at varying scales, with an understanding of techno-economic and social constraints. For more detailed information about the project work visit our Biomass for Bioenergy page and read our Biomass for Bioenergy Project Factsheet (PDF, 892.96 KB).
- Identify and test the suitability of specific native woody crops to supply biomass for bioenergy;
- In collaboration with industry, test the potential of pellets for electricity generation;
- Conduct techno-economic assessments of hybrid solar-biomass concepts for regional energy generation;
- Analyse potential contribution of bioenergy to emissions reduction in NSW considering factors such as biomass supply, alternative bioenergy technologies and integration within current energy systems;
- Understand community perceptions around bioenergy.
- Literature review and industry/stakeholder engagement - informing energy crop trials and energy generation options;
- Energy crops - work with landholders to establish energy crop trials;
- Large-scale energy generation - partnerships with energy generators and biomass producers;
- Techno-economic assessments - potential for hybrid solar-biomass power stations;
- Engagement with local communities - socio-spatial studies for selected regions;
- Scenario modelling - greenhouse emissions under large scale bioenergy adoption (life-cycle approach; considering integration with current energy systems).
- Optimal biomass varieties and sources identified;
- Biomass yield per hectare for each variety established. Identification of key challenges and potential barriers for adoption;
- Feedstock suitability for pellet production understood, including ability of energy-generation facilities to support introduction of biomass;
- Framework established for assessing viability of different electricity generation options at a regional level;
- Framework in place for assessing climate mitigation potential of bioenergy generation options.
- Energy generation capacity of optimal identified crops identified;
- Using case-studies demonstration of the feasibility of large-scale electricity generation using biomass and the potential for hybrid solar:biomass plants in regional NSW;
- Greenhouse implications of adoption of bioenergy generation scenarios in NSW understood.
- Adoption of biomass as a dispatchable energy option for electricity generation in NSW, resulting in lower emissions, greater energy security and promoting socio-economic growth in regional areas.
For information about this project please email:
Fabiano Ximenes | Senior Research Scientist - firstname.lastname@example.org
Catherine Carney | Research Officer - email@example.com
For additional information about the Climate Change Research Strategy please email firstname.lastname@example.org