Project 2: Energy efficiency solutions
Funding of innovative ideas to improve energy optimisation in NSW intensive industries
Recent increases in energy costs have eroded the profitability and international competitiveness of NSW agricultural producers, particularly those in the intensive subsectors of the state, as identified in an initial scoping report completed by the Australian Alliance for Energy Productivity (A2EP) for NSW DPI in April 2018 - A2EP Scoping Report (PDF, 4497.39 KB)
NSW DPI recognises the impact these changes have had on industry and aims to help those sectors most exposed and sensitive to increased energy input costs in NSW to explore novel approaches to improving on-farm energy optimisation. The Energy Efficiency Solutions Project allocated significant funds ($2.3M) for both commercial feasibility assessment and piloting of novel ideas to improve this situation.
The Energy Efficiency Solutions project team identified:
- those sectors in NSW most exposed and sensitive to energy related input costs,
- trends in energy productivity and explore economically viable opportunities to improve performance,
- barriers to improving energy productivity and strategies to overcome these,
- fund and oversee the piloting of a series of projects to improve conditions in vulnerable industry sectors, and
- develop and deliver relevant and a practical energy focused education and extension program.
Key project activities
- Energy Training and Forums: A training and awareness campaign focusing on the extensive and broad acre irrigated sectors e.g. Regional Farm Energy Forums and webinars
- Pilot Projects & Feasibility Assessments: Funding of innovative ideas to reduce exposure and sensitivity to rising energy costs in identified subsectors through investment in feasibility assessment and on farm pilots
NSW DPI’s new H2Cuts demonstration trailer is a renewably powered mobile barber shop themed as a shearing shed. A partnership with Sustainable Salons allows free haircuts powered by hydrogen at field days and other events. The H2Cuts trailer has been developed to initiate conversations with the agriculture sector as it explores pathways to reduce energy costs and move towards low or zero emissions energy sources.
The Energy Efficiency Solutions Program Logic is a summary of key project performance targets and actions
Feasibility Assessments and Pilots
Phone: 0428 968 909
Energy Training and Forums
Phone: 0412 359 084