2013 Animal Ethics Seminar: for Animal Ethics Committees and Researchers
A seminar for Animal Ethics Committee members and their Executive Officers, and animal researchers was held on 2 October 2013 at the Australian Catholic University, North Sydney.
The seminar was run by the Animal Research Review Panel in conjunction with the Animal Welfare Unit, Biosecurity NSW.
The programme for the day was an interesting one with presentations over a diverse range of subjects. Associate Professor Anthony Hannan gave an informative presentation on the effects of enrichment on mouse models of brain disorders. Representatives from a variety of establishments provided insight into specific animal welfare practices employed for an assortment of species from pigs to zebra fish.
A central section of the day looked at the value of translational research versus basic science, with Professor S Bruce Dowton and Professor Mark Connor, both of Macquarie University, presenting the “opposing views” on this topic.
Other presentations included the role of Animal Welfare Officers, and the way in which wildlife survey data is collected and collated (complete with an entertaining search for Wally the Wombat!).
We are again grateful to the Australian Catholic University for providing its excellent facilities for this seminar.
A copy of the programme and presentations from the day are available for download below.
- Programme animal ethics seminar
- AJ Hannan - Effects of enrichment on mouse models of brain disorders
- C Jenkin - VCCRI Aquarium Zebrafish facility
- G McKay and R Dempster - Elimination of target safety testing and the development of In-vitro assays for testing of livestock vaccines
- J Joya - role of Animal Welfare Officers
- K Taylor - Use of embryo freezing and sperm freezing to preserve mouse lines
- L Nedved - role of Animal Welfare Officers
- L Nedved - Use of Suprelorin to control reproduction in mice
- M Bate - Major changes in the revised Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes
- M Connor - The value of basic research
- M Fleming - Collection and collation of wildlife survey data
- R Gentle - role of Animal Welfare Officers
- R Matthews - role of Animal Welfare Officers
- R Spencer - Freshwater Turtle Research
- R Tan - Case study - A multidisciplinary approach to ethical dilemmas
- S Cass - role of Animal Welfare Officers