The NSW Oyster Industry Sustainable Aquaculture Strategy (OISAS):
- identifies those areas within NSW estuaries where oyster aquaculture is a suitable and priority outcome;
- secures resource access rights for present and future oyster farmers throughout NSW;
- documents and promotes environmental, social and economic best practice for NSW oyster farming and ensures that the principles of ecological sustainable development, community expectations and the needs of other user groups are integrated into the management and operation of the NSW oyster industry;
- formalises industry's commitment to environmental sustainable practices and a duty of care for the environment in which the industry is located;
- provides a framework for the operation and development of a viable and sustainable NSW oyster aquaculture industry with a clear approval regime and up-front certainty for existing industry participants, new industry entrants, the community and decision makers;
- identifies the key water quality parameters necessary for sustainable oyster aquaculture and establishes a mechanism to maintain and where possible improve the environmental conditions required for sustainable oyster production; and
- ensures that the water quality requirements for oyster growing are considered in the State's land and water management and strategic planning framework.