Our State's fisheries are a community-owned resource. We all have a responsibility to protect and safeguard this natural asset for present and future generations. There are comprehensive laws designed to ensure that fishing activities remain sustainable, and that biological diversity is protected.
Local DPI NSW Fisheries Offices maintain a comprehensive list of local fisheries rules and actively advises the public about these. It is important that it is understood that the information provided on this website only provides some of the controls that people need to abide by in respect to their fishing and other activities related to our aquatic resources. The local DPI NSW Fisheries Office should be contacted for the most comprehensive advice on activities that are being contemplated in an area.
Recreational fishers need to be aware of the fishing rules and regulations that apply to recreational fishing such as bag & size limits, methods, the use of traps and nets and other regulations.
NSW DPI has a role in enforcing the following laws regarding recreational and commercial fishing.
Recreational saltwater closures
Recreational freshwater closures
Marine protected areas
Other relevant closures
Permits and Orders
- Section 37 permit - Clarence River EPT gear modifications (PDF, 55.96 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Authorising specified modifications to fish trawl nets (PDF, 60 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Renewal to take Carp Estuary General Fisheries (PDF, 34 KB)
- Section 37 permit - EG hauling net (general purpose) - All regions (PDF, 50 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Clarence River EPT Diamond BRD (PDF, 46 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Ocean Trawl codends (PDF, 47 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Estuary General codends (PDF, 48 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Authorised modifications to EPT codends - All regions (PDF, 67 KB)
- Section 37 permit - Increase sweep lengths for safety reasons - Ocean Trawl Deep water Prawn (PDF, 28.58 KB)
- Section 37 order - Estuary general meshing net registrations (PDF, 151.91 KB)
- Recreational Fishing Gemfish Possession Order 2019 (PDF, 157.02 KB)
- Fisheries Management (School Prawn Possession Limit) Order 2019 (PDF, 15.5 KB)
- Fisheries Management (Clarence River Estuary Prawn Trawl Fishing Closure) Notification 2019 (PDF, 16.1 KB)