Exemptions from the recreational fishing licence
You are required to pay the NSW recreational fishing fee to fish in fresh and salt water in NSW unless you are:
- Under the age of 18.
- An adult assisting a person under the age of 18 to take a fish using a single rod or to take prawns using a single dip or scoop net.
- A person fishing in a private dam with a surface area of two hectares or less.
- An Aboriginal person.
- The holder of:
- current Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink;
- current Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs;
- Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Treatment Card endorsed "Totally and Permanently Incapacitated"(TPI);
- Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Treatment Card endorsed "Extreme Disablement Adjustment" (EDA);
- letter from the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs stating that the person receive a disability pension of 70 per cent or higher, or an intermediate pension.
Please note that Senior's Cards, Health Care Cards and Repatriation Health Cards will not exempt you from paying the fishing fee.
Centrelink advises that only the person who signs the card where it reads "Signature of cardholder" is the holder of that card. If an additional person is listed on the card (usually a spouse), this relates to health care benefits and not to other exemptions/concessions available to the pensioner concession card-holder.
Recreational fishers must have these cards in their possession whilst fishing to be exempt.
Charter boats, hire boats and fishing guides
You may not need to pay the recreational fishing licence fee if you are fishing on a charter boat, hire boat or under the supervision of a fishing guide. Please check with the charter/hire boat operator, or guide, before you go fishing. If they do not hold a Recreational Fishing Fee Exemption Certificate you will need to pay the NSW recreational fishing licence fee.
If you are unsure if you need a NSW recreational fishing fee receipt, please call 1300 550 474.
If you are a charter fishing boat owner, hire boat owner or fishing guide and would like to apply for a Recreational Fishing Fee Exemption Certificate, please find the application forms attached below.