Movement of bees

There are two systems available for the movement of bees during the Varroa Mite Emergency Response.

All beekeepers within the eradication and surveillance zones must report their hives, preferably online by completing the Notification of hive movement form.

1. Hive Movement Declarations

A Hive Movement Declaration form may only be filled out by people moving hives within the General Emergency (Blue) zone

To move hives from one location in the Blue Zone to another location in the Blue zone you must:

  • complete the Tocal College Varroa mite online training,
  • complete alcohol washing requirements, and
  • Complete this online form PRIOR to moving hives.
  • Where the destination on a hive movement declaration in the Blue Zone needs to change, the person has 72 hours to submit a new hive movement declaration with the correct locations.

The hives must be transported in a bee-proof manner and must not transit through a Red or Purple zone.

For further information on Hive Movement declarations visit: Movement of hives in general emergency zone

2. Movement Permits

Movement Permits are required to move apiary equipment, Hives, Honey Super & Empty Honey Super (as defined by the order) anywhere within NSW that is not permitted by the Biosecurity (Varroa mite) Emergency Order.

  • All bee keepers who need to move apiary equipment, Hives, Honey Super & Empty Honey Super (as defined by the order)must complete this application form (DOCX, 143.81 KB)
  • When the permit application form has been completed, save a copy, double click the email address included near the top of the form, attach the copy you have saved to the email, and hit send.
  • An application is NOT a guarantee of a permit to move.  A risk assessment will be undertaken on all applications to determine if a movement can be approved.
  • Please allow minimum of 72 hours for processing of the application. Permits may be revoked at any time due to changes in the Biosecurity (Varroa mite) Emergency Order.
  • Please note for movements to interstate destinations attach a copy of the permit issued by the interstate authority and forward to the email address at the top of the same form.

For more information on moving bees, hives and/or equipment visit Plain English guide for Varroa mite Emergency Order