Primary industries natural disaster damage survey

The primary industries natural disaster damage survey is a simple online survey Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) staff, farmers and agricultural industry representatives can use to record damage to primary production and animals from natural disasters such as floods, fires and storms. The damage survey allows you to:

  • complete a simple survey the number of crops, animals, infrastructure and other primary industries damaged in a single event
  • add photos to the assessment
  • see the severity of damage in your area.

DPI can view survey information in real time and results are used to determine:

  • the area the natural disaster has impacted and the scale of the event
  • the severity of the impact
  • the value of impact to primary production
  • where and what assistance or resources may be needed.

This source of “ground truth” information helps the Government and communities understand the scale and regional distribution of the impact of a disaster on agriculture and target resources and assistance in an area.

To report damage, submit a survey on your phone or computer. It’s free and takes just a few minutes to complete.

Submit a survey

Contact to report survey issues.

Making a report on your property with the survey is now short and simple.  To make a new report:

  1. Open the survey on your smartphone or computer. If you cannot see all details on your phone you may be using an old operating system and will need to upgrade to complete the survey.
  2. Fill in the survey as prompted as best you can. Only values marked with an asterix are mandatory
    1. Providing your PIC allows us to contact you directly if we need to confirm your data. It is not essential but it may help us to provide assistance in your area.
    2. DPI or LLS staff members or industry representatives need to enter a code which is emailed to help us differentiate data from different sources. Farmers do not need to enter a code.Select the type of event you are reporting on and the date it occurred - if over multiple days, enter the first date it happened.
    3. Select the location of the damage on the map. This is an important step if you are not at the damage site as the app will default to record your current location e.g. in town.
    4. Enter the total area in hectares of your property if applicable e.g. fisheries may ignore this section.
    5. Select if you have damage or not.
    6. Select all the categories in which your farm has received damage. This will open further questions under each section. You can return here at any time to add categories but it is easier to select them at the start.
    7. Follow the prompts to answer any of the questions that are relevant. Fill in numbers, areas and values as best you can. Only estimates are required, not precise measurements. Remember to use metric numbers i.e. hectares not acres etc.
    8. If your enterprise is not covered please use the “other” category to enter the enterprise, how many or how much is destroyed and an estimate of what it is worth.
    9. If you have particularly valuable animals e.g. racehorses please enter them in the “other” category as the survey uses average long term data to calculate impact.
    10. Estimate how long it will take you to return to normal production.
    11. Estimate the percentage of impact on your business income.
    12. Click on the camera icon to take a photo or to upload a photo from your files.
    13. Provide feedback if you encounter issues.
  3. Submit the report. Note that the report can’t be edited once submitted.
  4. You can then follow a link to see a summary of the reports in the state. You can filter by event and date to see all the reports for the particular event you are interested in.

Can I see my individual report?

No unfortunately you cannot see the information that you entered, only a measure of the severity of your damage and other damage in the area from that event.

Can I use the app out of mobile range?

At this stage, you need to open the survey before you go out of range. You can fill it in out of range and then submit it once you are back in range. Phase two of the launch will allow offline use.

Can my information be seen by others?

No, the information collected for each farm is not available for other members of the public to see or search. DPI may use the information to target resources and assistance in an area. The information is not used to determine eligibility for assistance.

How is my information used and who can see it?

All information provided is private. The survey prevents public users from seeing individual’s information. DPI or LLS staff can only use the information for assisting the community in or after emergencies and are bound by government confidentiality policies. DPI or LLS staff may contact individuals to clarify, validate or narrow down damage if required for natural disaster declarations or to determine if assistance is required. DPI cannot use information you provide to assess individual eligibility claims for assistance.

Does the information collected determine if my area gets more or less government funding?

The information is not directly linked to the provision of government assistance to individual farms. The information at a LGA (Local Government Area) scale is a guide only and is one of many sources of information used to develop a primary industries report which is assessed against a number of criteria when determining if an area gets disaster funding.

Does the survey collect information about drought or non-agricultural damage?

No, drought data is collected in the Drought Tracker app.

DPI only collates damage to primary industries. Damage to houses, non-farm businesses and public infrastructure is collated by other emergency agencies. People should contact their local council to report this sort of damage.

Can I update the damage report I put in and use the survey to record and track other information?

No, please submit a new report if you find additional damage. The survey only collects information on a one-off basis and cannot track additional data.

Key ContactsTelephone
Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline To request assistance with your animals call 1800 814 647 1800 814 647
Local Council To report non-agricultural damage call your local council
NSW Rural Fire Services (RFS) For bush fire information call 1800 679 737
NSW State Emergency Service (SES) For emergency help in floods and storms call 132 500
For life threatening emergencies including bush fires Dial - 000